ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:09 AM

The entire procedure would be done at once. He would simply flip me over after having placed the discs.

About your concern with de-stabilization. My understanding is that when you get a disc replacement, this should stabilize the spine as well.
-Two-level lumbar ADR L4L5 L5S1 by Dr. Desai November 2017
Old 08-15-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmas2000 View Post
Hi RabidJ, you are strong but the LP-ESP only able to compress and move on body temperature. I have discharge, and i am pretty good so far. I do have a slight old pain on my back but i am positive as it will be gone later. I did a couple of update on FaceBook ADR (Artificial Disc Replacement). Jump in there and join us, as you will also gather extra information there. Hang in there buddy, you will be fine.
Thanks for the reply Donmas. I will go check out the facebook page to see how you are doing. I wish you the best.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidJ View Post
The entire procedure would be done at once. He would simply flip me over after having placed the discs.

About your concern with de-stabilization. My understanding is that when you get a disc replacement, this should stabilize the spine as well.
In my case, I am too unstable for just disc replacement. Need something extra. BalancedBack has extra tail on it for stability.

February, 2016 -Same surgery, same failed result.

Have tried everything including prolotherapy, and stem cell injection.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Update:

Once again, I apologize for taking for ever to get back with everyone.
I have seen two Doctors since my last post and contacted another via email.

The first Doctor that I saw was one of Dr. Marnay’s protégé’s here in Montpellier. This dude seemed way too young for me and only performed about 300 procedures. I took the appointment just to get an opinion. This clinic only works with the Pro-Disc which obviously was a non-starter for me. The young Doc said that he thinks I should only work on my L4L5 disc and leave all other discs alone.

I have confirmed so far from three different top notch doctors that pain is being generated from my L4L5 and my L5S1 so I know this clinic/doc was mediocre.

The next Dr. I spoke with I was really impressed with. His name is Dr. Patrick Tropiano and works at a public hospital in Marseille, France called Hopital de La Timone. I had to drive two hours east of Montpellier to see him. The reason I wanted to see him is because I learned that he uses the LP-ESP disc that I am interested in. It turned out that he is a professor as well and teaches other surgeons in Europe and the U.S. how to perform surgeries. He has performed over 1500 operations and uses all of the latest technologies. He went above and beyond to help me get more images CT Scan, EOS imaging, and scanner. I have never seen scanner or EOS imaging in the U.S.. The only bummer for me is that he believes, like Dr. Rischke from Zurich, that my L5S1 disc is problematic as well and causing me pain. Tropiano believes that it would be better for me to have a hybrid operation placing a new disc at L4L5 and fusion at L5S1. I told him that I really wanted to avoid fusion but he said that my vertebrae is not flat at L5S1 and disc placement there may not be a good idea.

I immediately contacted Rischke to get his thoughts and below is exactly what he said:
“I don't share this view, because I never had a problem preparing the end plates of the vertebrae with a burr or diamond cutter to fit the implant save and stabile
I never observed a displacement of the LP -ESP.”

I have to admit, Rischke feels very ballsy and aggressive to me, yet confident. I even alluded to this at our meeting and he basically said that his solution is to try to fix the problem so that I won’t ever have to mess with surgery again. But at the same time, it seems like you shouldn’t do anything that may not be necessary, like placing dynamic rods at L3L4. Although my L3L4 is showing the beginning signs of disc problems, it doesn’t mean for certain it will be a problem. Man, tough decisions!! I wish he wasn’t so expensive too.

Lastly, I contact Dr. Biren Desai. He has written me back and said that we should do a double disc replacement. He didn’t say at what level but I am assuming at L4-S1. This is all the information that I have from him so far as he will be re-contacting me this week to talk about details.

Dr. Lazennec from Paris is another Dr that I would like to speak to but I am becoming very impatient. My appointment with him is set for Dec 13th. I am going to send him an email to see if there is any way I can get a consultation from him sooner but I am doubtful. Lazennec is the Doctor that was lead on many of the trial studies for the LP-ESP.

Bon courage a tout le monde!!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:49 AM

Could you share few pics of axial mri findigs of those levels of l3l4 and l4s1 ?
Old 10-02-2017, 04:01 AM

Default MRI Image...

Thanks for taking a look and letting me know your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171002_091944.jpg.jpg (94.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:58 PM

I think that a good neurosurgeon with wide experience and knowledge will not have problem to realign endplate to put artificial disc in safe position. Me too like yourself hesitate on what disk to go for M6 or LP ESP...
Old 11-06-2017, 05:59 AM

Default I chose a Dr....prayers appreciated.

Once again, I have taken forever to update.* I have made a decision on which Doctor I will be using.* I have decided to go with Dr.* Biren Desai in Cologne, Germany.*

I am going to leave out some detail on why I chose him over Dr. Tropiano because I am tired and a little stressed out about my upcoming procedure.*

So I ended up driving up to Cologne, Germany about a month ago to meet Dr. Desai and was unbelievably impressed with his patience, detail in explaining my situation, his honesty, and his kindness.* The procedure that he will be performing will be a hybrid procedure with a disc replacement and L3-L4, L4-L5, and a fusion at L5-S1.

Reasons I chose him:

Highly competent. Many years of experience with adr (I’ll try to update on exactly how many later)

Uses LP-ESP disc

His ability to do multi-level operations. I was debating whether to leave L3L4 alone because it may not be causing pain but more than likely will be in 5-10 years since it is damaged. Since I’m hoping that this will be my last experience with back surgery, I decided to get it done (extremely tough decision). In France, Doctors are hesitant to perform more than one disc level using adr.

Lastly, price. I believe that I am getting the same world class quality health care as any other person in Europe at a price that is doable. I’d like to point out that I will be requesting that the Veterans Affairs pay for this operation via their Foreign Medical program but am still uncertain that this will actually come to pass.

Note: I tried to avoid the fusion but had a couple of Dr.’s confirm that I have an unstable vertebrae at L5-S1 and did not want to risk any issues by forcing an adr operation at this level. I’m sad about this but I will try and make the most of it.

Prayers are appreciated since I will be operated on in 4 days. I will no longer post here but on the ADR outcome section of this forum.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:08 AM

good luck. What degree of spondy do you have at 5-s1 that makes you not an adr candidate? try not to be stressed out about the surgery. the decision was the hardest part, and it is behind you now
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona
Old 11-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Good luck RabidJ!