ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 AM

Hi
This is my first posting as a new member from the UK, and it would be very helpful if anyone has any new info on Dynesys .
I had Dynesys put in at L3/4 in Oct 2004 and did well for the best part of two years and then things went rapidly downhill.
This was put in above an anterior fusion L4/S1 which was a combination af very big metal staples, one side on and one front on, and a
type of Japanese fibreglass as the interbody fusion.
As I'd had the facet joints removed in a so-called "wide decompression" back in 1988 my spine was very unstable with a scoliosis.
I am having walking problems and a host of other problems including increased scoliosis.

Finding out about NHS funding being withdrawn here in the UK for Dynesys has been a revelation for me.
I've been pushed from pillar to post by consultants who can see quite clearly the problems I'm having but none of them have given me a diagnosis. Even the surgeon who did the Dynesys op .
I now realise I should have been given vital information about this procedure prior to the op but was told nothing.
I was sent home to an empty house two days afterwards and I had no help or advice from anyone.
Johnb's symptoms are so similar to mine, and also the lady in the UK he is communicating with.
I am shocked to read that there is a surgeon who is revising all his Dynesys ops.
I have been treated like a leper over here, my GP is doing his best sending me to various consultants but no-one wants to know.
Tomorrow I'm taking print-offs of these reports with me to my GP and also the guidance paper from NICE dated 2006 that says the patient should be given certain information.
It may be too late now, my Upright MRI scan shows the nerves of the Cauda Equina pushed over to the right at L2/3 and I have leg weakness making my life so difficult along with knees that won't flex properly when standing up but will when I'm lying in bed, same symptoms as johnb.
Will post again soon and thank goodness my friend Lynda here in the UK sent me the link to these postings.
A light at the end of a long and dark tunnel.

4 lumbar ops, 1983, 1988, 1995 & 2004.
Last op being Dynesys
Going downhill June since 2007. Leg weakness & other probs
Old 09-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Welcome Dilly, from across the pond. I will help you if I can!

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate