ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:20 AM

Thanks Cathy,
I'm ok and thanks for the info about Matthew Scott-Young. Most surgeons are pretty cautious and I expect him to be the same. I'm not going in with any pre-conceived ideas about what to expect but I will admit that if it was a straight choice between fusion and adr (which I know it is hardly likely to be as these things tend to be more complicated than straight choices) I would choose adr. I know he may say I don't need surgery and I'm not putting my hand up for it but my pain levels, degeneration and quality of life deterioration would seem to point to it..who knows? I'll leave it up to him.
I already have a DIAM stabiliser so I'm not sure if this exempts me from other stabilisation solutions?
Once again, I'm very grateful to you (and Terry) for the kind words of encouragement and "heads up on MS-Y"
I hope you both continue to get well.
I'll keep you posted on how I go on Weds
Thanks again
Si (geezer)
PS - I've had no feedback about the EMG/NCS test.I was told I'd find out at my appt.
Herniation - L3-4, L4-5

- 20 year history of mild to chronic back pain
- Sciatica/Leg pain - 2006/7
- Decompression, Discectomy, Posterior DIAM - Apr 2007
- Return to part-time work - Aug 2007
- Symptoms returned Nov 2007
- Discogram positive at L5/S1, L3-4, L4-5 July 2008
- Hybrid Surgery - 27th October 2008, 2 ADR's at L3-4, L4-5, ALIF at L5/S1
Old 06-06-2008, 12:51 AM

Another update.
I had my appt with Matthew Scott-Young and was very impressed. He's extremely thorough and seems to be on a real mission to provide surgical excellence.
I really can't recommend him highly enough.
He is 99% certain as to what surgery I'll be having but wants me to have the dreaded discogram first. I'll be having this in 6 weeks time but am also on a cancellation list so hopefully earlier.
I'm ready for surgery now and have confidence in him completely so I'll trust whatever he recommends. His approach really is a breath of fresh air and I urge anyone who is in a similar position to go and see him.
He doesn't mess around and is a straight talker but that's what I needed
Take care
Herniation - L3-4, L4-5

Old 06-06-2008, 01:05 AM

Glad you had a positive consult with M S-Y. Straight talker is a polite way of putting it! LOL. He has me in stitches sometimes with the things he says, I've been seeing him regularly for a few years now so we have a bit of banter going, he's just a very down to earth guy.
Are you having your discogram with Dr Matthew Lee? If so that's why your wait is so long, he only visits the Gold Coast usually monthly to see M S-Y's patients. I actually travelled to Sydney a few months back to have facet injectons with him to save time and we took in a show while there. Might be worth considering?
Do you know what surgery is being considered or is he not saying much till after your injections?
Let us know how you go.
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 06-07-2008, 04:12 PM

Hey Cathy,
Yep, he had us in stitches too (my wife and I).
My daughter was there too cos she was sick from school and he gave her lolly snakes afterwards, so he was a big hit with her too!
I'm not sure who's doing my discogram, he just gave me a referral to the Allamander Hospital (Matthew Lee isn't on the list) Spose I could check it out by ringing them on Monday? Is Matthew Lee another special Matthew I should be seeing?
No news on surgery but he hinted at a two stage procedure, perhaps fusion and ADR although he was keeping his cards close to his chest. In typical fashion he said he was, "99% sure of what he would be doing and his hunches are always 100% accurate!"
Any more hints on speeding up the discogram process (Sydney is out of the question), I'm really in agony right now and 6 weeks seems a long way away.
Take care and stay well
Si
Herniation - L3-4, L4-5