ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Default Surgery Time

Hey Guys

New to this but part of a spinal forum on fb

Surgery happening made my mind up finally had enough, 7 years back issues but was still able to play rugby at a professional level up until 4 years ago, retired at the age of 26 to give my back a rest, but 2 years ago to this day L5-S1 herniated pushing on the left nerve root, causing numbness and part of my calf muscle to not work, but Irish surgeon at the time said not to worry no need for surgery

but over the last 2 years have spoken to 4 ADR surgeons in mainland Europe, all came back with ADR 2 levels

Dr.B
Ritter-Lang (no chance in hell going to stenum)
Dr.Chavel
and some dr out of berlin cant remember his name and doc Zeegers

and Dr. med. Bierstedt i am looking at now, but think i have narrowed it down to chavel and Dr. med. Bierstedt as i met Dr.B and i wasnt to impressed as i am a engineer and spoke to him about what i see as flaws in the Pro-disc and the size of the Keels makes it more challenging if the spine is a little off what is termed normal, and with the active L i feel there is to much distraction to put the disc in

so opinions people on Bierstedt and Chavel pros and cons ?

I dont want to be 100% as nothing will ever be the same but 85 will do me haha

issues at the moment as said above weakness and lack of power in left calf with leg pulsing and cramping, but no back pain right leg a wee bit of nerve pain but nothing special

meds 300mg neurotin x 3 times a day and tylex 30/500 = codeine/paracetamol i take one of them tablets 4 times a day

Last edited by Conan26; 06-16-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 06-16-2013, 11:06 AM

Conan,

I'm surprised that none of these doctors recommended the M6 disc. If you spend some time on these boards, you'll see that this is one of the most popular discs around. It most mimics the real thing with it's shock absorber quality. Check out their site at About Us | Spinal Kinetics

This disc is produced in Sunnyvale, CA but does not have FDA approval. I (and many readers on these boards) feel that it is for political reasons. The M6 has been in use for over 10 years in Europe. All of the surgeons you mentioned use it. If you're interested in any other type of disc which is FDA approved, consider having it done in the U.S. as it should be covered by insurance.

Best of luck!!

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 06-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
Conan,

I'm surprised that none of these doctors recommended the M6 disc. If you spend some time on these boards, you'll see that this is one of the most popular discs around. It most mimics the real thing with it's shock absorber quality. Check out their site at About Us | Spinal Kinetics

This disc is produced in Sunnyvale, CA but does not have FDA approval. I (and many readers on these boards) feel that it is for political reasons. The M6 has been in use for over 10 years in Europe. All of the surgeons you mentioned use it. If you're interested in any other type of disc which is FDA approved, consider having it done in the U.S. as it should be covered by insurance.

Best of luck!!

Gene
Hey

sorry yes the rest use the m6 par Dr.B and Zeegers
Old 06-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Hi, sorry for your pain but glad you found Dr.Bierstedt in your search. I'm almost seven month out of surgery by Dr.Bierstedt and I'm doing great. Back to work and doing all the fun stuff with my family again. If you like some more info let me know. In the meantime, keep your spirits up.
Claudia
All my symtoms are GONE!
Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia K. View Post
Hi, sorry for your pain but glad you found Dr.Bierstedt in your search. I'm almost seven month out of surgery by Dr.Bierstedt and I'm doing great. Back to work and doing all the fun stuff with my family again. If you like some more info let me know. In the meantime, keep your spirits up.
Claudia
Hey Claudia

yes it will be him or chavel doing the operation but leaner towards Dr. Bierstedt based on the follow up treatment
Old 06-16-2013, 02:26 PM

I might add here that Dr. Zeegers does use M6-L when he sees it appropriate. He stated on facebook page during spring that he uses both Activ-L and M6-L. I do not know about how long he has used it, but given his experience, I would consult him on the disc choice.
- 2010 cervical MRI -> c6/7 problem
- Developed frozen shoulder during "conservative treatment"
- 2011 prodisc-c nova c 6/7 by Dr. Bertagnoli
- Ongoing neck, scapular and shoulder issues
- Nerve root canal narrowing osteophytes behind adr. Considering revision.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM

Default Date given

Hey Guys

well i have been giving a preliminary date for the 23/7/13, so ill be booking flights in the next few days for Germany what pushed me more for Germany was mother is German and speak the lingo and i know how anal Germans are for getting it right lol, but i respect the hell out of Dr.Chavel i think him and Dr.B are the best in the world at the moment

But in all seriousness the rehab was the clincher

Now for the first time i am going to do a step by step video of what happens as in flights you name it to meeting the guy if i am allowed to surgery haha if again allowed, but not just on that but on follow up rehab with Physio and surgeon here my surgeon Noelle Cassidy Ms. Noelle Cassidy | A heritage in care. A reputation in excellence | Mater Private Hospital has said she will do the follow up she thinks i am nuts but i explained wait till your back goes out

Now three promises i made myself after this surgery is to be kind to my body and to get that Harley Davidson(Fatboy) i have always wanted and a sleeve tattoo and if my outcome is good to get my body back the way it used to be mean and green as back issues cause u to get a gut with pain and you know guys, haha never had that before 2 years ago, oh and a new lady while i am at it , as i have learnt the hard way u become anti-social and hard to live with in constant pain so i dont blame anyone there still on good terms me and the ex fiance but weird or karma she has DDD in her back but i wouldnt wish that on anyone

so before video and fingers crossed with good outcome a good after video

Last edited by Conan26; 06-17-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling errors