ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:53 PM

Well, believe it or not it has been 9 months since I have been under the knife. I must say that this surgery has made a big difference in my life since then.

Since finally kicking the medications to the curb, I have been looking to go back to work and finally accepted a position as a nurse at a small hospital near where I live. I am glad to be able to return to work, but at the same time - I will need to make plans to shift career goals. I know that there is no way that I can be a nurse until I reach retirement age - I just can't see it. If anything this will be a stepping stone to get me back into the work force and hopefully on to more promising things in my career life. Perhaps going back to school again for a higher degree in the near future once I get a few bills paid off & etc.

Some have asked if I am totally pain free. I have to say I am as close as I can get to it at this point in my life. I still get some back aches/pains that I take ibuprofen for and a few episodes of sciatica - but it goes away as fast as it comes on. I don't know if others who are one or multi-level replacements are having the same results as me - however, I am thinking similar or better in most cases. - Which is a good thing.

I know what some of you out there are thinking - Oh no! She's going back to the bedside!!! Yes, I am, but I will be working the night shift - soooo hopefully, most of the patients will be sleeping and there is not a lot of transporting patients to different areas of the hospital during this shift. So, this should be much better on the back than what I was doing as an Emergency Room RN lifting, pushing, pulling patients and equipment to different areas of the hospital all day every day (and night). So, for now, this is what I am up to. I thought I would post to help encourage others that have been out of work because of their back that there is hope in returning. It is just a matter of when you feel you are ready post-op.

Anyways, I just thought I would share with you all where I am at in my life "on the other side".
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 06:40 PM
imported_PStewart

Poncho,

I am so pleased that you are doing so well!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Banned

Keep us posted~ sounds good to me re going back to work!! Take it easy, I know you will be careful~
Old 02-03-2005, 05:13 AM

Hi Sue,
gosh it doesn't seem like nine months since your surgery. Congratulations on a good steady and sound recovery.

When I read your posting that you are going back to nursing, I did a bit of a double take. However I am sure that you will pay particular attention to posture, and stance, when being confronted with objects or weights which need lifting. Good luck in your career.

I think you could be quite right that May be further study might put you into a better position both careerwise and financially in nursing. I send you my very best wishes and congratulate you on thinking out your current position on the night shift.
Cheers,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 02-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Banned

Sue, I'm glad to see that you are moving on, but must admit... I'm one of those who's saying, "Oh no..." Knowing how hard Diane works makes that my frame of reference. She's looking for BSRN programs because even though she is fit and not a spiney... she can't imagine working on the floor for years to come.

You must adopt a chane in attitude. I recently saw 2 ADR post-ops walking on ice just a few days after their surgeries. The more recent patient said, "Oh no, if I fall, we are both going down!" The one who was helping her said, "If you fall, I'm going to drop you!"

I hope you are building your core strength. The best thing you can do to avoid injuries is to become strong.

I am looking forward to hearing how much you love your job and that you are happy to be a care-giver instead of a care-receiver. I know that like most of the RN's I know, you pursued your career for all the right reasons and you loved your work.

This is great news!

Mark
Old 02-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Banned

Sue,
Grad school/NP/can do alot with this..any interest there?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:44 PM

Thank-you all for your words of encouragement.

My plan is to do what I have to do get a little more stable financially then get back to school or management or something along those lines.

Hey Maria, NP sounds okay - but if I have to take a nursing assessment class one more time - uhhhhhh - I'm likely to get sick myself

I have my bachelors degree - but looking into some sort of MBA degree. I will need to research this a bit more in the next few months.

Mark - I can totally relate to your wife's work loads. I don't think I will have anything near her kind of patient assignments or work load. This is such a small rural hospital that anything slightly complicated gets sent out to a higher level of care. Most are able to walk and do self care. Total in-patient beds for the ENTIRE hospital is around 25-30 Total this includes OB, peds, med-surg and transitional care. - Don't laugh too hard - but I'm not kidding.

I would strongly encourage your wife to get her BSN. It has opened a few doors for me over the years. Compared to getting a diploma or 2 year nursing degree - the BSN programs are not bad at all. I actually thought they were pretty easy compared to the 2 & 3 yr programs.

Regarding Core strength - I am doing Pilates routines, but is there anything else I should be doing? Hummmmm
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:09 PM

Exercise ball for those muscles lying real deep in the spinal areas. It's the only way to utilize them. Regular exercise and machines won't isolate those muscles.

Andro1111
Old 02-04-2005, 01:29 AM

Andro111,

If I remember right, you come from a PT or OT background? I have never used an exercise ball before. What exercises does one do with the ball?
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 08:08 AM

I competed in bodybuilding at the national level and am a personal trainer for 25 years....just lying on the exercise ball will strengthen the core along w/ abdominal crunches. Go to this website:
www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/rehab/ball/ball01.htm

This shows a lot of exercises that can be done with the ball.

Andro1111