ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Default Should I get an ADR?

Hello all! Thank you for all the information thus far!

I threw my back out 3 years ago (herniated disc L4 & L5) and had a lamenectamy followed by PT. That helped some (made my legs better) but the old back is still giving much pain.

I'm pretty functional (can lift stuff and live a pretty normal life) but I toss and turn at night trying to get my back comfortable and I do have some level of pain ALL the time. I can't run of course and often during my nights and weekends I find myself wishing I could just lay down.

I've tried steroid injections and come to the personal conclusion that they are just a bandaid.

Texas Back Institute is recommending an ADR and I actually have it scheduled for this Wednesday but I am getting cold feet. While I am in constant pain, I am starting to doubt whether my degenerative disc is bad enough to justify a major surgery like this and also the recovery time and additional PT.

Thoughts? Advice? Thank you!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 PM

If I could restate your question in a possibly better way, "Does your degenerated disk impact your life enough to be worth risking surgery?" No one can answer that question for you but it's easier if you look at the impact it has on your life to see if it's worth the risk. Look at what you can and can't do and how much your life has changed in response to the problem. Then go a step further and honestly ask yourself if it's getting worse or holding level over time. If it's getting steadily worse, that suggests some long term fix is needed.

Doctors can tell you if your disk is bad enough to deserve surgery but they can't tell you if your life if affected enough to risk surgery.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 11-27-2011, 11:48 PM

annapurna -

i'd take it one step further and add - are you certain that the one disc that you are having replaced is far and away the biggest, if not the only, source of the pain that is intrusive enough in your life to warrant surgery?

a good surgeon should ascertain this - it's not all about pictures, especially MRI's, especially if you're on the younger side.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.