ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Default My Story -so far

Basically as it states in my sig, one day in 2009 i woke up and could not get out of bed...my neck felt "broken."

Eventually (a few days later) I dragged myself to a local emergency care center, they did X-rays, and gave me Percocets, tramadols, and muscle relaxers for about 2 months (x-rays appeared clear). Drugs worked to a point, but eventually a Chiropractor i know sat me down on a chair one day and just pressed on my head/shoulder a little...and the pain went away for over a month.

He kept doing things like that every so often when i would see him, but then at the end of last year (2010) even after putting me on a table, it was hurting more, not less...so he recommended going back to a doctor for new x-rays/MRI.

That led to a Neurologist visit, and days after the MRI (it took awhile to find a machine i fit into...i am a big guy ), the surgeon wanted to meet, he wanted to do fusion the next week...after i got home and did some reading i realize that at my age (oh right, forgot to mention, i am 31) that would likely mean more by the time i hit 55/60 and the associated loss of range of motion/ability are a future i refuse to accept.

So here i am trying to learn more about ADR and the options available...and i get the feeling that i need to make a decision sooner rather than later from how the neurologist and initial surgeon reacted to my MRI.

My current drug level is : Gabapentin 3 times a day at 1200mg/900mg/1200mg; Percocet 2 every 6 hours for pain.

Oh, in case you wonder how this may have been caused...your guess is as good as mine, from what i can assume it either occurred in 98 when i totaled my car, or when i was rear ended (more than once in the last 10 years, although all prior to '06...so if it happened then it waited awhile before causing me pain/trouble)
-May 2011 - Neurosurgeon recommended disectomy/fusion - here seeking alternative
Old 05-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Question

Chris, thank you for posting and taking the time to post your signature. You've obviously been living with this for some time...more than a decade! Gosh. And you are on a lot of pain medications. You've adapted to a lot of stress indeed (duh!?). How?

That's a great deal of pain to endure. And how did your chiro get the pain to go away for a month? That sounds amazing; but it must be frustrating for you at the same time. That must have been validation for you that the disease was localized in your cervical spine, but could somehow be manipulated.

I pondered this issue in 2005 and 2006, but in my case, it was infection from mycoplasma pneumonia in my throat that migrated to my cervical spine. Perhaps there is a propensity for gram-negative infections to settle in to the small joints (z joints or commonly known as facets) before they get into the spinal discs and surrounding areas. For that reason, manipulation by adjustment may work, albeit temporarily.

Some of this is speculation on my part, but my research is well founded in terms of spinal diseases, which are ignored because of the way medicine is set up in this country.

See this topic for more insights on the pathology of degenrative disc disease, a topic not dealt with openly by American medicine:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f44...l-causes-9218/

For what it's worth, cervical patients do well with with ADR or fusion; assuming the absence of other disease processes. Lastly, what NSAIDs or anti-inflammatories have you tried? There are many -- did your pain management doc cycle you through all the different classes of script and natural remedies? If not, find another one!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 AM

Just to be clear, i never had pain before 09...i had no idea i had any issues until that morning...frankly i thought this was all a pinched nerve until the MRI occurred.

My Chiro is a friend...well more like a customer, as i run comic book conventions on the side here...which likely agrivated this condition, as comic boxes tend to run in the 40-60lb range, and i tend to take 60+ to a show.

All he ever did was manipulate a muscle or nerve group in my shoulder or lower neck, "tap, tap" basically...and some pressure...and BAM...no more pain for month(s) at a time (i was told it was a muscle spasm that caused that initial neck pain as those X-rays were clear)....until it didnt work near the end of last year, so he brought a portable table...worked on me for about 40 min...and when i told him it hurt more afterward, well he looked worried and said i needed to see a doctor about x-rays/MRI.

The real pain did not start until after they put me on gabapentin, not sure if there is a link, or if it just worked out as perfect timing...but dear lord it was bad for a bit there this year. That said, my Neurologist thought it was carple tunnel originally...that MRI changed that opinion fast, and now i have everyone telling me i need a discectomy, but the idea of fusion at 31 and the eventual debilitation (i also have a bulge forming at C4/C5) are something i refuse to accept.

That said...when i mentioned ADR to my initial surgeon, i got the soft "great idea, yep, i would do that in your shoes....look into that, Oh and Good Luck!; cause i dont do them..." speech. I proceeded to call the co-chief of medicine at his hospital, who had taken part in the Prestige study, and 2 weeks later now still have not heard when he will see me as "he need the hospitals approval before hand."

Meanwhile i was going to contact Dr. Balterston in Philly...but i learned he just lost his license in NJ due to the Pro-Disc lawsuit and ethical violations on his part...and i am left wondering just who i can trust to discuss these things and get a perspective on what the best device is.

Bottom line is this: I will go anywhere, and spend whatever, to ensure i have a functional future free of pain...i just need some advice!
-May 2011 - Neurosurgeon recommended disectomy/fusion - here seeking alternative