ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:57 PM

Default Charite Disc 2005 new to form

Thanks for allowing me to join.. I had the Charite Disc surgery in 2005 at 37 at L5, at the time was lucky insurance approved as it was still considered experimental plus my surgeon didn’t want to fuse me. For about a year had good results but by 2007 my pain returned and have been under pain management for 12 years now. Back and nerve pain. My pill regiment consist of Belbuca 75 mg, Hydro 10-325 4X, Lyrica 2x, and Zanaflex. I also have Broad base Bulge at L4 with narrowing and Facet Joint osteoarthritis and SI Joint osteoarthritis. I am 13 yrs post op and concerns are device wear and Surgeon now recommends a fusion to lock device into place. Many research out there talks about theses issues with conflicting data as to if device should removed then fused or leaving in. Plus estimates being given on device life expectancy being between 10-15 years. Interested in discussing with others who face same decisions. Thanks for letting me join this by far the most informative board on net!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Question

Hey Griff, I have the Charite -- implanted in 2004. No issues for me, but I live by and preach naturopathic programs for all spine patients. How healthy is your lifestyle? Eating organic? Clean filtered water? Etc.

See:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11053

What are your next steps?

PS: Advanced search here:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/search.php
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-09-2018, 02:12 AM

Hi Griff!

Sorry to hear about your condition. I hear some doctors in Europe are performing combo fusion+artificial disc surgeries regularly now. It may be prudent to consult with them?

Best wishes,
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.
2020 - Getting better with one-on-one PT.

30 - Male - American
Old 07-09-2018, 07:57 AM

Harrison:

Thanks for the info and I must say this site has been great to research. My lifestyle I was a college football coach for 28 years. I left coaching 2 yrs ago due to my issue with my back, I could no longer “grind” the way college coaching requirers. The 12/14 hr day on your feet constantly just wore me down. Lifestyle wise try to keep up with young guys and eat organic as possible. later part of my journey exercise became more of an issue due to pain. As for next steps I have had 2 opinions and both recommended surgery, thus schedule for Oct. 22nd. Im not in position to go to Germany so I’m also exploring state side “experts” that have dealt with isssue with Charite. Both surgeons have recommended to leave device in, but wanting to get other opinions. Thanks for the links appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Hey Griff, I have the Charite -- implanted in 2004. No issues for me, but I live by and preach naturopathic programs for all spine patients. How healthy is your lifestyle? Eating organic? Clean filtered water? Etc.

See:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11053

What are your next steps?

PS: Advanced search here:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/search.php