ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:21 PM

Default Warning signs that bad disks are getting worse?

I realize that as complex as the back is, that there are many different symptoms and issues related to everyones' unique condition. Nevertheless, I have a somewhat general question which has me quite worried.

As I saw each of the various back surgeons whom I've seen, they have all asked me about urinary and bowel issues. For example, one told me that I'd know I was in an emergent situation if in addition to my daily problems I suddenly gone incontinent.

I have had some "issues" over the last 3 to 4 weeks in these areas. My PC doc has sent me for x-rays last week, but I saw him again on Friday due to ongoing and somewhat worsening of my symptoms. I have to go for an abdominal ultrasound tomorrow. He wants to rule out the possibility of an enlarged prostrate or some bladder problem.

Although the whole mess has me concerned, I am very fearful that these are indications that my lumber disk issues have gotten worse. I am worried that this is going to push me to have to have a surgical fix to my back, and I won't be able to wait for the bi-level ADR. I don't want to be "forced" to have a bi-level fusion!

I was wondering first if anyone else had ever been told that urinary and bowel problems were warning signs that their back issues were worsening? If so, did it mean immediate attention? This really couldn't come at a worse time. I am so depressed about my health, the pain, and how these meds make me feel as it is. My family, and most upsetting my marriage is about as stressed as it can get! I've been taking Chantix for the past 10 days to quit smoking, and ironically enough tomorrow is supposed to be my first day cigarette-free! Aahhhh!!

Any thoughts? I understand that I'm sort of venting here, and I apologize for that and the length of this post. I guess I've had enough, and I'm too tired to do anything about it .........
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....
Old 01-26-2009, 07:06 PM

Default Cauda Equina syndrome can be serious

Unfortunately, there is a condition called Cauda Equina syndrome that your doctors are worried about, and it can be a very serious condition. The symptoms are often bladder and bowel incontinence problems, and it can be a medical emergency requiring immediate surgery to avoid permanent nerve damage. I am not trying to scare you, but just being honest. Please go on Wikipedia and search "Cauda Equina syndrome" and read up on it---you will understand why your doctor is so concerned and they are fast tracking your tests. Hopefully you do not have this medical condition, but something else.

Best of luck,
DDD confirmed via discogram at L4/L5 & L5/S1 (with issues at L3/L4 but no concordant pain) 3/06
Failed SED (Laser Endoscopic surgery) 4/06
2 level ADR (L4-L5 & L5-S1) with Maverick disc at Stenum 8/06
XLIF Fusion (L3/L4) 9/08
Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Default No worries...

James, no worries...your post is not long at all! Sorry about these issues; they are tough for sure. Did your PC doc impress upon you the gravity of the situation? Refer you to a doc in urology and/or neurology? You may be able to find a doctor that that specializes in both fields -- but a uro doc may be a good consult for you now?! Let us know what's next, as this is serious business.

PS: There's a urology center in New London, maybe that's not to far from you.
PSS: Congrats on taking the smoking cessation step! That's huge! Keep going!

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 PM

Default It depends

James,

There really isn't a short answer to your question. However, some urinary or bowel symptoms are worse than others. As your doctors indicated, incontinence can be an indicator of a serious problem. However, difficulty starting your stream of voiding can be related to disk disease and/or nerve impingement but is not an indicator that immediate treatment is necessary. It shouldn't be ignored, though. During the last 3 months of my 2 yrs. of back pain, I started having considerable difficulty starting to void. Try 5-10 minutes in the morning trying to go. However, imaging showed no changes in my disk disease.

Since your doctor is checking your prostate, I'm guessing that you may be having the same symptoms. Keep in mind that many different medications including pain meds can cause this problem in addition to nerve impairment. Bottom line: It certainly needs to be checked out, but don't panic yet. It may be something simple. When was your last MRI?

Good luck

Tim
PT, ESI, SI jt injections, 3-level nerve root inj. x 2
Massage, heat, ice, TENS, etc
L5-S1 Charite Jan. 19th, 2009, very happy w/decision
New back pain in upper back though.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 PM

Default Charles ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinCharge View Post
Unfortunately, there is a condition called Cauda Equina syndrome that your doctors are worried about, and it can be a very serious condition. The symptoms are often bladder and bowel incontinence problems, and it can be a medical emergency requiring immediate surgery to avoid permanent nerve damage. I am not trying to scare you, but just being honest. Please go on Wikipedia and search "Cauda Equina syndrome" and read up on it---you will understand why your doctor is so concerned and they are fast tracking your tests. Hopefully you do not have this medical condition, but something else.

Best of luck,
Thank you Charles. I checked Wikipedia as you suggested. I have 3 of the symptoms listed, do not have another 3, and do not understand the 1 other! Since the ultrasound found no issues with my other organs, I'm guessing this is related to my back trouble. The doc who performed the test mentioned a CT scan may be next, but that's up to my PC doc who I have not yet heard back from. Thank you again - Jeff
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....
Old 01-28-2009, 02:19 PM

Default Harrison ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
James, no worries...your post is not long at all! Sorry about these issues; they are tough for sure. Did your PC doc impress upon you the gravity of the situation? Refer you to a doc in urology and/or neurology? You may be able to find a doctor that that specializes in both fields -- but a uro doc may be a good consult for you now?! Let us know what's next, as this is serious business.

PS: There's a urology center in New London, maybe that's not to far from you.
PSS: Congrats on taking the smoking cessation step! That's huge! Keep going!

Thank you for the reply, Harrison. My PC doc didn't seem overly alarmed at my situation, other than to order the ultrasound. I had it yesterday, and apparently everything that it can check (prostate, bladder, kidneys) looked fine. The dr who performed the test mentioned a CT scan, but said that would be up to my PC doc when he got the results of the test. So far I have not heard anything from him.

I currently have an appointment with my neurosurgeon scheduled for April 1st. Please don't congratulate me on the smoking. I was supposed to stop yesterday, but am still smoking today. I've cut down some, but otherwise failed. I can't do it while fighting the medical issues, work issues, and new personal family issues.....
Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 PM

Default Tim, I am in panic-mode ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconner94 View Post
James,

There really isn't a short answer to your question. However, some urinary or bowel symptoms are worse than others. As your doctors indicated, incontinence can be an indicator of a serious problem. However, difficulty starting your stream of voiding can be related to disk disease and/or nerve impingement but is not an indicator that immediate treatment is necessary. It shouldn't be ignored, though. During the last 3 months of my 2 yrs. of back pain, I started having considerable difficulty starting to void. Try 5-10 minutes in the morning trying to go. However, imaging showed no changes in my disk disease.

Since your doctor is checking your prostate, I'm guessing that you may be having the same symptoms. Keep in mind that many different medications including pain meds can cause this problem in addition to nerve impairment. Bottom line: It certainly needs to be checked out, but don't panic yet. It may be something simple. When was your last MRI?

Good luck

Tim
Thank you for your reply, Tim. I am experiencing the difficulty starting to void which you mentioned. I've been on the same pain meds for so long that I don't think they are the cause. I haven't had an MRI in quite a while for me. It could be over 9 months to a year ago. The ultrasound showed no prostate or any other problems, but I haven't heard form my PC doc yet. The doc who administered the exam, as well as the article I was directed to by CharlesinCharge previously, mentioned the possibility of a CT scan for further examination.

Unfortunately, I am in full panic mode! If this condition can only be resolved by surgically correcting my back issues, and if it must be done relatively soon, I am in trouble. My medical insurance won't pay for my bi-level ADR, leaving me with no other option than to have the fusion (I guess).

I realize that I need to calm down. I'm just having a little more stress than I can handle lately (pain, effects of meds, work, family & spousal issues). I hope that I hear from my PC doc soon and he has something to say. If nothing else, he is very good at talking to me straight, and is good at "handling" me.

Maybe I need to push my neurosurgeon for an earlier appointment than the one I have scheduled for April 1st?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:20 PM

Correct as usual, Harrison. I just heard back from my PC doc and he's referring me to a urologist. He wants me to get an appointment by the end of next week at the latest. Just thought I'd let you know you were correct. I also wanted you to know that I haven't completely quit in my attempts to quit smoking. Terrible timing though .....
Old 02-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Default Thank you All

Thank you to everyone for their input on my topic. I saw a urologist. Most importantly, he assured me that I do not have Cauda Equina syndrome! He put me on some medication (name and purpose I admittedly am unsure) and is sending me for some bloodwork. My PC doc took me off the Miralax which was actually creating some of my issues, and instead put me on 2 OTC meds. Pills, pills, and more pills! Now I'm taking meds to offset the side-effects of other meds! Ridiculous!

Thank you all once more - Jeff
Old 02-24-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
Thank you to everyone for their input on my topic. I saw a urologist. Most importantly, he assured me that I do not have Cauda Equina syndrome! He put me on some medication (name and purpose I admittedly am unsure) and is sending me for some bloodwork. My PC doc took me off the Miralax which was actually creating some of my issues, and instead put me on 2 OTC meds. Pills, pills, and more pills! Now I'm taking meds to offset the side-effects of other meds! Ridiculous!

Thank you all once more - Jeff
Hey Jeff! I am female, and had / still having similar problems urinating. I was hospitalized shortly after my accident because they thought I had cauda equina syndrome. It turns out I did not. But that doesn't mean I wasn't incontinent. In fact, I still struggle with urinary incontinence a year and a half later. I find I have the worst problems on "bad back" days. I have been seeing a urologist for a year now, and was diagnosed with neurogenic bladder. (Read - It's back related.) But for some reason that wasn't considered an emergency. (Seriously... when you're a competent adult and suddenly relapse to pre-potty training days IT CERTAINLY FEELS LIKE AN EMERGENCY.) But I, like you, would have been forced to have a fusion because my insurance company refused to pay for an ADR. So, I held off.

Since then, I've also developed this annoying problem with chronic UTIs from urinary retention. So, I understand your frustrations. I was on Detrol LA for a while, and that seemed to take care of it. Then when I started having side effects, I switched to Sanctura. I ended up having to come off both of them because they were blurring my vision to the point where I was unable to drive or read. So, now I resort to the old fashioned sanitary pad...

I've finally given up on the insurance thing. They just aren't going to pay, and I'm just NOT going to allow my back to be fused. It's been close to two years now, and I'm finally getting my ADR anyway. Though, I will be going to Germany to get it, and it's going to wipe me clean financially. IF you want it that bad, you may want to consider doing something similar. My single level ADR is going to cost me around $30K (about $100K cheaper than having this done in the states), and my surgeon has extensive experience with ADRs. More than most have in the US. The way things are going with our medical system, it is probably going to be at least several years before this type of surgery becomes routinely covered, even though single level ADRs have already been FDA approved. So, unfortunately, people like us get left in the dust.

All in all, I wish you the best. And I'm here if you need to rant!

9/07 - MRI - herniation and moderate DDD L5-S1

10/07 - Lost job, unable to work

12/07 - PT x 2, not much help

2/08 - ESI #1, 2 day relief

3/08 - ESI #2 and LP, no relief, had CSF leak
3/08 - blood patch, sneezed & dislodged needed another

1/09 - MRI shows 10x9x8 left posterior-lateral herniation L5-S1 with nerve impingement, DDD worse

2/09 - ADR scheduled 5/8/09 with Dr. B in Bogen, Germany