ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Question Surgical options, etc

I already have a separate thread started seeking recommendations for surgeons in the Northeastern US, but didn't want to ask additional questions within it in an attempt to not clutter or muddy things up.

While still seeking suggestions as mentioned as to "which" surgeon, I am also curious as to "which" surgical procedure I should be opting for - assuming I am to need to make some choice on my own. If nothing else, I wanted to see if others here could help me get educated with some of the procedures available and their definitions in layman's terms.

My prior surgical consults - whether to perform bi-level ADR or fusion - always seemed that the surgeon was going to take an anterior/front approach. If a fusion surgery, that's called ALIF right? This naturally scares the crap out of me for obvious reasons!

I've read other posts referencing "minimally invasive" techniques. Now that term sounds very nice, but what does it mean? From reading other posts it appears as if PLIF (now that would be a fusion using a posterior/back approach right?) is considered a minimally invasive method. I thought I had read an older document during my research - before surgeons frequently used the anterior approach - that once a posterior fusion was performed, revision was not possible in the same area due to scar tissue forming around the "spinal cord" (iliac vein or something maybe?) - or maybe they can revise using a frontal approach now?

Okay - I am obviously confused, and likely have lost anyone actually reading this. I'm sorry, but I won't let that stop me from completing this post even if it goes unanswered. I will be seeing one or more surgeon's ASAP, and they will likely be telling me what I must do in their opinion(s)!

My earlier ramblings was my attempt to try and understand what ALIF, PLIF, and or minimally-invasive fusions really are -- I believe I've even read about XLIF, where I think the surgeon approaches from the "side"?? To the best of my understanding, all of these are related to spinal fusion surgery. Since my bi-level ADR was, and likely will be again, denied by insurance previously I am thinking at least one of my 2 levels (L5-S1) will be handled using fusion. If I am somehow able to get the other (L4-L5) replaced with ADR - are there any techniques anyone has heard of for minimally invasive ADR surgery?

I am open to any opinions, thoughts, or anything which can help in educating me about all of this. It seems so many others on this site are so well versed in all these medical terms, conditions, procedures, etc and although I have literally spent years reading here and elsewhere I am not.

Thank you all - Jeff
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....
Old 01-21-2014, 03:40 PM

Hi....first off, could you post a whatever testing you've had done to date and the results of those tests? In regards to ALIF, it is a minimally-invasive procedure, which means it's "muscle sparing". No muscle needs cut to perform, decreasing your recovery time. As for your insurance, you sound positive that insurance won't cover this. If you were certain, i would take my money overseas where the doctors are far more experienced with ADR, and you'll get the best available disc out there right now.

Feb. 2014 - Hybrid lumbar fusion(l5/S1), ADR(L4/L5)...2-level cervical ADR (C5/C6, C6/C7). Dr. Pablo Clavel of Quiron Hospital in Barcelona, Spain. All M6 implants (PEEK cage and plate from Medtronic at fusion level in lumbar.) SAME DAY OPERATION for both areas of the spine.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Jeff, for now, some links on fusions:

Spinal Fusion: Articles and Videos on Fusion Types and Surgery
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Default Educational materials

Thank you so much, Harrison.

I found the information this link took me to quite informative. It answered many of my questions, which naturally generated many more (as it should be while learning anything!) I found the quick videos extremely helpful. It is a bit odd that I have visited that website many times previously, even have it saved as a Favorite, but apparently wasn't able to successfully navigate to what info I had really needed before.

Jeff
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....