ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 PM

Default ADR Prestige C5/C6 questions on activities

Hey guys, I'm having ADR surgery next week with a prestige disc placed at C5/C6. My questions revolve mainly around activities. I'm pretty athletic and will be anxiously awaiting when I can realistically get back to running, weight lifting, hiking, etc..

Can anyone give me a rough ballpark as to how soon I can realistically expect to at least do some cardio activities, etc..? Any idea how soon I might could get back in the gym? Pushups at least? Should I switch to biking after having this surgery or is continuing to run after a disc replacement generally o.k. even though it's a higher impact exercise?

Thanks,
Brown.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:18 PM

Default !

Brown,

It all depends. I know a lady in her early 60's that had a single level cervical done. Four months later she was back on her bike riding from Alabama to Ontario. Next she hiked thru France and then rode her bike from Vancouver to San Francisco. If all you have is a bad disc, you will probably do just fine. Also, I know a guy who had two level lumbar ADR. He was 35, a weight lifter, body builder and trainer. 10 months after his surgery, he was squatting over 300 pounds. I don;t know if I'd do that but he feels so good.

Mark
Multiple facet blocks and epidurals
L5-S1 annular tear 8-08 lased with ELD
October 08 back to work
Old 03-10-2009, 08:16 AM

Brown, best bet is to ask your doc. My doc said he would advise against heavy lifting for the first few months after surgery but that everything else would probably depend on how I feel. I'll be asking for more detailed info at the pre-op appointment.

Good luck and keep us posted on your recovery/progress!

Jason
In 2005 pain began getting worse.
Diagnosed as DDD in July 2007.
Surgery recommended after 6weeks of PT made the pain worse.
ADR scheduled for Jan 26, 2009. Rescheduled for August 5!
Bryan disc finally FDA approved, and just in time too.
Neck was all jacked up and had to be fused unfortunately.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll keep all that in mind. I had my surgery yesterday and I think I just need to get used to the idea that I will be sort of out of commission for longer than I thought but that's fine. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Default Slow and steady...

..wins the race!

Brown, congrats -- you're the 1000th person I've said that to in this community! A slower pace serves healing spine patients very well. It takes many (or most?) patients years to fully heal from major spinal surgery.

One day, just driving down the highway -- I realized that I was completely confortable in my car. And that was almost TWO years after surgery...and I am one-level ADR patient! Go figure.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM

Default reply

Brown, my doctor said ok to start treadmill right away (that was at 2 weeks post op), and to wait at least 6 or was it 8 weeks (?) weeks before doing weights again, though Im playin safe and waiting 3 months or longer. I think the bone has finsihed its growth over your endplates at week 6.

Conclusion: Min 6 weeks, best to wait 2 months, ultra safe to wait 3 months.

6/08- Disco results- C6/7 painful, C5/6 popping sounds

7/08- Plasma disc decompression-significant relief obtained

11/08- pain returned to almost pre surgical levels

1/09 -Disco w/ Dr Ziglar shows C5/6 & C6/7 painful-2 level ADR recommended

2/26/09 - c4-c7 ADR Prodisc Nova with Dr Bertagnoli. 100% Success but need C6/7
ADR revision due to subsidence.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:49 PM

Thanks guys. I think I'm definitely going to play it safe. I've decided that I don't want to have a revision surgery if I can help it, so I'm going to have to work on my patience. I'm going to start out on lower impact exercises such as biking in a few weeks and progress from there very slowly. I'll probably stay out of the gym for 2-3 months at least.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Lightbulb

Brown,

Sorry to reply with a question -- but what kind of biking? When seated, one loads the spine. Active biking POUNDS the spine. Perhaps you are thinking about stationary biking?

Steve, I can't back this up with studies, but some people don't do well with the treadmill over the long term. For some percentage (small, I guess!?), it can lead to severe cramping and charlie horses. I am not sure why, but perhaps Rachel or others might be able to help us understand this from an exercise science perspective.

I'm no doc, but I say walk around your neighborhood (in safe conditions) and travel the variable terrain with good sneakers. The minor changes in grade are good for working all kinds of "small" muscles in your legs, trunk and back. I'll take walking/hiking any day over equipment. And you get fresh air, sunshine and nature -- there's no replacement for that!

Whatever the case, now is the time to take a break. You won't fall apart...and walking is an excellent choice of therapy AND exercise!!!

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-24-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
..wins the race!

Brown, congrats -- you're the 1000th person I've said that to in this community! A slower pace serves healing spine patients very well. It takes many (or most?) patients years to fully heal from major spinal surgery.

One day, just driving down the highway -- I realized that I was completely confortable in my car. And that was almost TWO years after surgery...and I am one-level ADR patient! Go figure.
so true Harrison same here im over a year out and like you one day you notice things become better it takes time to heal slow process