ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:24 AM

Thumbs up

Harrison this is good info...
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 AM

I was a manager of a retail kitchen store chain for 4 years and had to quit because of back pain. I do have lots of training when it comes to kitchen appliances.

I used to own the Juiceman and thought it was ok until I bought the Breville from my workplace. The Breville had much dryer pulp. My old one had pulp I could still squeeze juice out of.

The Breville doesn't need a lot of prep. You can drop a whole Apple in it and its not a challenge to the machine.

I would note that juicers aren't really made for citrus. You can put it in a juicers but a lot of the juice goes out with the pulp.
Citrus really needs a press. I have the Breville citrus press and love it. Especially living in Florida. I can make a large pitcher of juice in little time.

In the last year, I switched to using a Vitamix instead.

You get more fiber this way. Every morning I put some yogurt, spinach, ice cubes and fresh fruit in the Vitamix. Best way to eat spinach because you can't taste it.

My doctor told me that when you chew food, enzymes in your saliva help to breakdown the food and get the nutrients out of it. Some people who gulp their smoothies, end up with a stomach ache because they missed the necessary saliva to go with it. So, my doctor told me to try to "chew" each mouthful before swallowing so you get the enzymes.

We grow a lot of veggies, so I throw in all kinds of stuff. Beets are one of our favs.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Thanks for reminding me about the citrus juice press. My mom used one in the 60s that was very much like the one you use. Pressing fruit is always better than centrifugal juicers; the high speed electrostatic process is said to remove important enzymes from the fruits and veggies. Well, that may be, but my juicer has helped me heal from the the damage caused by the systemic bacterial infection (mycoplasma pneumonia).

I sometimes add different roots (ginger, burdock, celery root) and greens into the juice mix. I always add a few drops of flax seed oil to help with the absorption of fat soluble vitamins, particularly vitamin A.

I’d like to get a Vitamix, but $450 is a lot to spend. But if you use it more than the centrifugal, it’s worth it! I talked to a few people this week about this – they are glad they forked out the bucks as they love their Vitamix. They have achieved better health by giving their bodies what they’ve missing – vitamins, enzymes and minerals lacking from the American diet.

Thx again for sharing.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Administrator

BTW, I have not seen this yet -- but I look forward to seeing this for reasons we all mentioned in different ways in this thread:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Fa...4?trkid=496624

Wow, what a unique documentary!? Albeit, not entirely entertaining.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 AM

Used to juice ALOT. Wore out 2 centrifugal juicers. Ended up buying a Champion on the recommendation of the health food store I frequented. Owner said his was 20+ years old. He opens a box and pulls out a washing machine motor! (I'm not joking folks). It's a grinder type, pulp fairly dry. Juiced 2 lbs of carrots, 1 lb of apples, 1 turnip, 1 pineapple and some greens every day for about 3 years. Machine is as good as the day I brought it home. It's not very elegant, doesn't magnetize, ionize or Simonize your juice but it does the job.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Post Food processing, blending, juicing...

Hey all, just updating this topic. I am finally shopping for a blender replacement. Vicki, I reread your message and it was helpful. I sent you an email a few weeks ago, I hope you got it. I learned a while ago that the Vitamix won't fit under my cabinet, and also learned about the Ninja's six blade technology which seems useful for almost anything.

I am looking to make purees (fruits and veggies), raw/diced foods and juices too -- even though I have a Breville which leaves a lot of waste pulp.

Any thoughts on high-performance blending would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 AM

Default Juicers

I'm late on the thread here... I too have the Breville 510XL Ikon 900. It's efficient and rather easy to clean, but if I had to do it again I would not buy a centrifugal juicer. It's an effective way to get juice, but a less effective way to yield both quantity and quality of juice. As a consolation I just bought myself a hand powered masticating juicer for my greens.

There is a secondary solution to the Norwalk (even recommended by the Gerson Institute), and that's to get a Champion juicer to grind the produce and then a separate Welles hydraulic press to squeeze it. It will run you $7-800 but it is still less than the Norwalk!

*tip: you can add vitamin C powder to reduce oxidation if you are gonna save some for consumption later in the day.

I am working up to a long juice fast, which I want to do before my surgery to be in optimal health going in. If you are considering juice fasting, it's imperative that you also include a regimen like coffee enemas to help move the toxins out of your body so the nutrients can move in for healing!

I've primarily treated my injuries thus far naturally/holistically so if anyone has any questions about supplements and or natural healing I'm happy to offer input!

Jules
c5-6 right ruptured disk
moderate spinal cord compression
right ostephyte
c6-7 ruptured disk, moderate cord compression and endplate osteophyte

L3-4 central disk protrusion
L5-S1 ruptured disk

3 level m6 cervical ADR with Dr. Clavel 4/12/12
2 level lumbar ADR in near future hopefully!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 AM

Default Andrew Saul and Company

If you're interested in documentaries, I highly recommend Food Matters Welcome to 'Food Matters' - You Are What You Eat | FOODMATTERS®

A great website for orthomolecular and nutritional medicine is Dr. Andrew Saul's DoctorYourself.com - Health, Naturally!
c5-6 right ruptured disk
right ostephyte

L5-S1 ruptured disk

Old 02-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Great post Jules. Glad we are like-minded in nutrition! and thx for the link to the film. I should know about that one, but I didn't. I attended the Gerson Therapy seminar in 2010, so it was neat to see Charlotte Gerson in the video clip. She it truly an amazing woman!

I saw the Norwalks there at the seminar. I may get one some day...
Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 PM

Default juice fast

I'm currently on Day 6 of a 7 or 8 day juice fast.
With my surgery on the horizon I decided to do a pre-surgical juice fast, and then a post-surgical juice fast.
It's been an interesting journey. Being a vegetarian and an already healthy person I don't have too many complaints about things like headaches and feeling ill. I can say that my chronic constant pain has greatly reduced (at least for now), and that the range of motion especially in my neck has increased quite dramatically. Awesome! I don't want it to be too much of a shock to my system being under anesthesia and medications in the hospital so I am trying to give myself enough time in between fasting and surgery (April 12th) to return to regular healthy eating. After surgery for optimal healing and expulsion of all the toxic medicine I'll have in my system I plan to do a longer fast. Go juicers go!
c5-6 right ruptured disk
right ostephyte

L5-S1 ruptured disk