ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Hello everyone!

I am new hear and wanted to say hello and share a bit of my story. I had a Prodisc t l5-s1 at St Mary's in SF in March 03 as part of their clincal trials. My recovery was long, but successful. In 2006 I had some arthoscopic surgery of the hip to resolve some residual hip pain that I assumed was coming from the back, but was truly coming from the hip. After that hip surgery I was doing even better and thought all this stuff was behind me . . . Well, woe is me I seemed to have injured another disc in my back. All the old familiar buring butt and leg pain is back full force. I have a MRI coming . . . Trying to keep my chin up . . . Thought I migt find some information and support here.

I would be happy to share any of my recovery experience from my Prodisc surgery (lots of distraction pain) And also let people know that hip pain may actually be coming from the hip! I had what is called femeroacetabular impingment (FAI) which causes painful labral tears in the hip joint itself. It may be something to purse for those who continue to have hip pain after back sugery. There are only a handful of docs in the country who can fix it arthoscopically.

Laurel
Old 03-24-2007, 06:15 PM

HI Laurel,

Can I ask you how long did the distraction pain last??
You mention (lots of distraction pain).

Was it through regular X-rays that you find out about your hip pain?
Old 03-24-2007, 07:01 PM

Hi Rosie
My distraction pain lasted over 6 months. The leg pain was worse than pre-surgery levels for over 6 months before it finally started coming down. The hip FAI can be diagnosed by X-Rays, but not many docs know what to look for. I was lucky that I happened to come accross a docs that was familiar with it. Most are not. He also ordered "Frog" X-Rays where you lie on the table, bend your knees up and then let them splay out like a frog. He also did a MRI to see the damage within the hip joint. If you want the names of some docs to contact about FAI, I would be happy to give you more info

How is your recovery going? Are you experiencing the distraction pain?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Laurel,

Thanks for sharing your story and especially your offer to help!

Question -- do you have any idea what caused your FAI? Were you into sports? Any way, I found this site which offers some info on FAI -- not sure if you think it's a good one:

http://www.hipfai.com/
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-25-2007, 08:30 AM

Hi Harrison

The link that you posted is probably the best general description of FAI that I know of. Thanks for linking it. I have no idea how to do that! If someone is pursuing that diagnosis, there is also a yahoo group specific to that issue. Only other thing I can say is that it is really important (just like ADR) that you do you homework and seek out the right docs. There are only 3 in the US that I feel can really do it arthoscopically. Again, if anyone is interested, go to the yahoo group or send me a PM>

Laurel
Old 03-25-2007, 09:02 AM

Hi all,

For my impingement and labral tear, my hip surgeon's name is Dr. Christopher Larson. He is the "go to" doc for this treatment, in this area. Prior gentleman was correct, there are not many doctors who can do the surgery, let alone get the right diagnosis quickly. My torn labrum was diagnosed by MRI with contrast. My activities at the time: dance lessons, skiing (where you do alot of skating....these Minnesota hills!), and a kitchen project I took on which required alot of squatting. My recovery was very long for this procedure, and I still have pain and very limited external rotation. However,recent MRI and x-ray of hip showed no arthritis, and a great looking hip. So if Adr doesn't address this pain, I will be one sorely depressed person. I did get concordant hip pain, a 10, from all three disc levels injected. Per my doc, labral tears are uncommon and usually diagnosed in very athletic people. One of the most characteristic symptoms for a labral tear is burning groin pain. I mean burning. Hope that's useful info. Cindy
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:48 AM

Hi Laurel
I had three 3 a.d.r done about 5 months ago and I know what you mean about distration pain, It was the worst pain I have dealt with.Mine too has calmed down,but I can't stand for a long time ,but alot longer then I used to.I go back to work next week and it scares me a bit.
I'm sorry to hear you may need more surgery,my best wishes go out to you.
Kevin
Old 03-25-2007, 11:04 AM

Hi Laurel,

Sorry to hear you have to go for more surgery.
As you said at least you have the right Doc.

My recovery is still hard going. Can't believe at 15 months soon still suffering, I think of "distraction pain". My left joint is very stiff/tight and burning sensations including the front part towards the groin area. Especially when bending fwd the burning is excruciating. Tingling up to the toes. Can't work full hours. I tried and got pretty sick and had to pull back. Still taking gabapentin and trying to control it.

Wonder how much longer this pain will stay??? I have heard it can go up to 2 yrs...
Old 03-25-2007, 12:34 PM

Hi all

Kevin and Rosie,

I was a slow recovery from my 1 level. I think people expect too much too quick, based on what they hear from others and probably from their doctors too. Looking back, I would say I continued to improve for 2 full years. At 6 months I was ready to throw in the towel and say I was a failure. Especially when my leg pain was worse then before surgery because of the distraction pain. But I finally turned the corner and was doing well. That is why possibly facing surgery on another level is so disheartening. We (I) have to remember that our other discs are only as good as they were pre-sugery (not perfect) and are certainly subject to injury. I hope and pray that my current pain will resolve on its own and no further surgery will be required. I have certainly learned a lesson to PROTECT this back of mine. I know others here are so happy with their newfound painfee life that they are pushing things to the limits. I am very happy for them,pehaps their other discs are in perfect shape. For me i think the condition of my other discs needs to be respected, otherwise I am headed for more surgery. Hope I am not already there!!!

CindyLou,

My goodness girl you have been though a lot. The tough thing about this hip pain stuff is figuring out if it comes from the hip or the back. Sounds like you have had all the right diagnostics though, to make the proper decisions. Like you, I had/have both hip and back pathology that really clouds the issue and makes it difficult to find a proper diagnosis. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery!!!!!! I will be looking for posts on your progress.

Laurel