ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Question Meeting with Neurosurgeon tomorrow

I have had low back issues since I was hit by a car while bicycling 30 years ago - and now after sitting for 20 years working at a computer, the pain has become debilitating. If I could qualify for disability I would, but I'm a free-lance contractor.
At my first meeting with the neurosurgeon 2 months ago, he thought I would be a good ADR candidate as I'm fit and have no other health issues. However, after spending many hours doing online research, I'm concerned at the long-term viability of ADR. There seems to be problems with subsidence, deterioration of the polyurethane, and bone growth that impinges on the implant. Also, the disc he plans to use, Charite, has been flagged a problem because the small teeth that hold it in place can be inadequate.
It also seems that one can expect more surgeries in the future.
I have found a clinic in Berlin, Avicenna Klinik Berlin | Neurochirurgie | Heilung Bandscheibenvorfall Halswirbelsäule | Stenose & Bandscheibenoperation HWS that offers disc cell transplantation as an option. Has anyone tried this?
Also, I am interested to hear from people who have had ADR more than 10 years ago.
This is a great forum.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had the cell transplant therapy!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Hi Neiska, thanks for posting. Though the Charite' got a bad reputation early-on, it was primarily due to one doctor's high volume operation (Stenum) and subsequent complications. Many here have had good outcomes with the Charite'. This device is not used much anymore -- where are you -- in Europe?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate