ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:48 AM

Anyone out there got any travel / accomodation / other (dining, things to see?) recommendations for New Haven, CT?

Looks like I will be there the night of October 11th, and the day of October 12th (for an ortho appointment).

As of right this moment, looks like my best option for accomodations are to stay at The Colony New Haven hotel (south side of Yale campus), and let them drive me to and from the airport, as opposed to renting a car at Tweed airport.

David
Old 08-18-2005, 10:34 AM

D: sent you a PM.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:42 AM

Got it, thanks!

David
Old 08-18-2005, 11:20 AM

Great!

Here's some mediocre pics for you; somehow the photographer mangled/cropped "The Green" (and other pics) - a place to relax close to you.

http://tinyurl.com/a4ro9

You can hang at Yale College where GWB and Garry Trudeau attended at the same time.

Best, ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Hi David, Locally there are many restaurants. On a Wednesday evening there are two theatres, Yale Repitory and Long Wharf probably with performances at that time of year, both with websites. The Chart House and Rusty Scupper Restaurants are located on New Haven Harbor and not a long distance from downtown. I am about 45 minutes away and if you have any problems I will pm you my number, just call. Bill
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue
Old 08-18-2005, 03:23 PM

Thanks.

Message received.

David
Old 08-18-2005, 04:31 PM

Also, lots of art stuff close and N. of Hospital:

http://www.yale.edu/campusmap/central_arts.html

Where you'll be: http://www.yale.edu/campusmap/medical.html

Serious stuff you're doing but hope you have some fun. - Allan
Old 08-19-2005, 12:44 AM

New Haven has a plethora of great Italian restaurants from pizza to fine dining--rumor has it that pizza was born there. Casey's is good for American/Continental food and Blessings has great Chinese food. And you may be waited on by a Yalie destined for greatness, e.g., Meryl Streep supported herself at Yale Drama School by waitressing. Enjoy!
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 08-22-2005, 05:21 AM

I live 20 minutes north of New Haven so it depends are you a city person? The resturants are great, but also in the daylight. I personally would not walk around New Haven at night. I would check with the Hotel and see if they have a driver for local attractions. The pizza places are great there are actually two and are located on Wooster St. They are Pepe's and Sally's but be prepared to wait in a long line. There is also Modern Pizza on State St which is actually very good. Again everything depends on whether you are renting a car. Tweed to New Haven even with traffic is only about 10-15 minutes away, not many planes go into Tweed. Bradley Airport (although considered small) is our large airport. Let me know if you need any information I will gladly find out for you. I work with someome who used to live in New Haven.

Judy
ADR L5/S1
Diagnosed with Arachnoiditis 11/06
Old 08-22-2005, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the info. Here is what I am currently planning:

Tweed versus Bradley airport:

If I fly into and out of Tweed airport, the ticket is a bit more (~$232 [Tweed] versus ~$191 [Bradley]). The flip side of that is that if I fly into and out of Bradley that I will be adding around $65 for car rental + various parking.

So, I have pretty much decided that Tweed is my better (and cheaper) option (even though the Tweed option means switching planes in Philadelphia). Currently looking at arriving around 1pm-ish on October 11th, and leaving around 4/5pm on October 12th (appointment is 10:30am on the 12th).

I also looked at various hotel options, and decided that closer to Dr. Y's office is better than farther away (especially w/o a car), so I pretty much have decided on the Colony New Haven Hotel (about 4 blocks north). Certainly not the cheapest, but looks like a nice hotel that should have easy access to taxis.

Other than that, everything else depends on how much the flight hurts my back. Walking one city block is a really, really bad idea for me to try, so I am probably either staying really close to the hotel or taking a taxi wherever necessary.

David