ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:16 PM

That doesn't surprise me at all. I try to eat organic and non GMO as much as possible. I eat pretty close to a Vegan diet now. Bottom line, I do everything I can to feel the best I can.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 04-19-2015, 04:00 AM

I cannot say if the hospital in Germany is not equipped or not, I just know about Quiron hospital. I think I have read here that Hattigen hospital is equipped like Quiron, but I can't say for sure. As for what Bierstedt missed, I can't say it was him that missed it or what happened. I had a surgery set up with Bierstedt, Then a week later they changed the hospital and doctor, to Illerhaus with no explanation. I asked why, and Ken in Canada told me I could have surgery with Bierstedt if I wanted, still no reason why. A couple of weeks later, I received an email from Malte telling me that Illerhaus was better at removing bone spurs and fixing damage to the spine structure itself. This was 5 1/2 months after receiving my films and 3 or 4 weeks after receiving updated MRI's and X rays. I never really got the feeling they had a plan and could communicate it to me. Not once was I ever told I needed to talk with any of the doctors there. Within 2 days of sending Yolanda my films, she contacted me with a request for X rays, which I got and sent her. The next day she sent me Dr Clavels report and asked me for a time she could call me. She called exactly when she said, and scheduled the Skype call with Dr Clavel. He called 5 minutes early, which was 8pm his time, and we talked for an hour. He explained everything to me in detail, reassured me he could do it no problem, and said that he didn't see any problems, but if there were, he was fully prepared to handle them. There would be a vascular surgeon, cardiologist and intensive care unit available. My surgery took 45 minutes longer than expected cut to the extensive damage that was not visible on the MRI's or X rays, and not mentioned in any of the radiologists reports. When I talked with him and his partner who was assisting, they said it was no big deal, but they got all the spurs and fixed the damage and left it perfect, good as new. Germany is probably good, and a number of people have had good experiences there, but for me, it was night and day, I believe they have no idea what the hell is going on. Yolanda is smart, efficient and on the ball. From beginning to setting the date for surgery, it was 2 or 3 weeks. It was easy and painless, I just wish I had been able to meet Yolanda when I was there, she was out on maternity leave.
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7
Old 04-19-2015, 04:06 AM

I forgot to add this. When you talk with Dr Clavel, you do not get any feeling that he has a big ego. It is more like he is proud of the fact he is able to do something that is able to improve your life. When I told him how great he was after my surgery, he blushed and said he was just happy he was able to help me. I believe that there are other patients that would agree with this.
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7
Old 04-19-2015, 11:45 AM

Our experience was the same as Scoops. Very professional, very courteous.

As for the the hospital, it is part of the Quiron Group, which is a private health care system in Spain, kind of like Kaiser on the West Coast or Advocate/ENH here in Chicago. The facility itself is the newest one in Barcelona, built in 2007 and ultra modern. It is a fully equipped Level 1 trauma center, with all the latest technology, etc.

Your surgery is performed in the Hospitals surgical ward, and you recover in the ICU for a bit before you return to your Hospital Suite (yes it is a suite with guest room and two bathrooms).

The nurses and orderlies all wear slick hospital uniforms and look ultra professional (kind of the way it used to be here in the US 25 years ago) unlike here in the US where everyone wears sloppy looking pajamas.

Other than the orderly's most everyone else speaks exceptional english.

TJ
- Wife has been diagnosed with Severe Spinal Stenosis Right and Left Sides, Degenerative Disk Disease at C5/6 and C6/7, Large Osteophyte Complexes at a both levels, with C6/7 on R/H Side, and C5/6 both R/H and L/H Sides. Also Reverse Lordosis.
- Performed 2-Level ADR with M6-C by Dr. Clavel, Barcelona Spine Center on 10/15/14.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:58 AM

Default Many thanks!

Scoop and TJ, thank you so much for sharing your stories and knowledge on the facility. Each time I speak to someone on the board and/or read about their experience, it helps me to see it in my mind and figure out what to do.

Looks like my lumbar has gone through some changes in the last seven years. I sure wish I understood the MRI better. I just got my copy of the report yesterday! It is such a puzzle figuring this out without a medical background and now I have reservations with trusting the doctors. It really impresses on me how important it is to get multiple opinions. Even with three the last time, it wasn't enough.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 PM

Here is a video about the hospital:

https://youtu.be/_TCOFN6AA1g

Here is a video about the Quiron Group:

https://youtu.be/O8sCMoXAZNQ

We stayed in one of the "Royal Suites" at the far end of the hall. There is a shot of the view from the window in the video and that was the view we had.

TJ
- Wife has been diagnosed with Severe Spinal Stenosis Right and Left Sides, Degenerative Disk Disease at C5/6 and C6/7, Large Osteophyte Complexes at a both levels, with C6/7 on R/H Side, and C5/6 both R/H and L/H Sides. Also Reverse Lordosis.
- Performed 2-Level ADR with M6-C by Dr. Clavel, Barcelona Spine Center on 10/15/14.

Last edited by Throttlejockey; 04-19-2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added additional video.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:22 PM

Thanks again TJ! Those are wonderful videos.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 AM

I liked your "...fix back not find best friend..." comment. Dr. Bierstedt fixed mine one year ago and I'm glad I chose him. It is a whirlwind myriad of info and opinion during the planning phase, I know. At some point you make a decision and act on it. In my circumstance, I chose one year post surgery for my initial lookback. I smile to myself often regarding what would have been a monumental task 11 & 1/2 months ago but now is a humdrum and normal daily act. Humdrum and normal is WAAAY underrated.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:48 AM

Yukimaki2, I am so happy to hear of your successful outcome! Congratulations on getting your life back. I keep hoping and praying I will be just like you and many others on this board a year from now. I had difficulty last night with the humdrum activity of sleeping because of pain. Sure would be nice to make it through the night again. I'm counting on it!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 PM

And I don't know if you ever determined whether or not you need lumbar as well as cervical repair (I did) but Dr. Bierstedt did 3 levels of cervical on me first and one week later did 3 levels of lumbar to finish me off. Then a further week in the Hattigen hospital and 3 weeks of Medicos rehab and I flew back to America. So it's an efficient use of time and travel dollars.