ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM

Default Hello from South of the border -need help

Hello everyone,

I'm working out the details with insurance/doctor for a adr procedure. I need your help on what else I need to ask doctor before going into this.

the question I already have ready is what kind/brand of AD he uses (we are in Mexico so no FDA restrictions here)

what else I need to ask?

I'm:
male
43 years old
very active (cycling road and mtb, scuba, fishing, camping)
herniated disc in 2006, in and out of pain for the last years, until this year that I had a very painful event, rested at home for 2 days and back to work with moderated pain, little difficult walking.

Diagnostic was herniated and degenerated l4-l5 disc with nerve compression, other discs looks normal.

Doctor told me that PT may help a bit but problem will come back for sure with more pain and maybe more damage.
he told me fusion was not for me.
he went straight to recommend ADR. he has been doing this for quite some years with very good results. He is one of the top orthopedic surgeons in my city and works at one of the best hospital in Mexico.

I'm sorry if I'm missing info. I'm just a newbie here with a back pain.

thanks in advance for your help!!

Hector M Zapata
2012-2013 more frequent episodes, pain killers, NSAD, just pain, able to work, walk, continue exercising (cycling)
Jan 2014 another event, more painful this time, pain running for the first time to the back of left leg. MRI.
Dynamic posterior stabilization on Feb 10th
Old 01-29-2014, 03:27 PM

Hector,

Sincerest condolences on your long standing back issue. But, congratulations on having a doctor who is knowledgeable and even supportive of ADR in you current dilemma. That's a bigger asset than you probably realize.

The first and most important thing I'd do is to verify that your surgeon turns out a consistent flow of positive outcomes with whatever implant he uses. Lumbar ADR surgery must be gotten right the first time; it is very unusual to have a bad outcome reversed by a revision surgery. The single most important input is your surgeon's record. You are the first Mexican, to my recollection, that has posted here ... and I cannot think of surgeon in Mexico that has been mentioned here; so I don't know who to recommend.

With a good outcome you should easily be able to resume your SCUBA, fishing and camping. Cycling is harder on the spine than anything I can think of other than horseback riding. We've seen others on this site resume snow skiing, running, ice hockey, martial arts, ... just about anything you can think of (even cycling and horseback riding).

BTW: As we don't know much about Mexican spine care on this site, it would be helpful to those that read here if you will keep us updated on your surgeon, implant and surgical outcome.

Please keep us posted. And good luck!

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 01-30-2014, 10:38 AM

Thanks Jeff,

If everything goes well with insurance, surgery will be scheduled for the week of Feb 10th.
I'll keep you all informed on how things go.
as soon as I get more info from Doctor, i'll let you know, who knows? maybe having this kind of procedure in Mexico is a good option for US patients. for sure is way cheaper than Spain.

thanks,
2012-2013 more frequent episodes, pain killers, NSAD, just pain, able to work, walk, continue exercising (cycling)
Jan 2014 another event, more painful this time, pain running for the first time to the back of left leg. MRI.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Hector,

I assume you're probably still in the hospital. We're hoping that surgery went well and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 03-07-2014, 08:53 PM

Default Mexico too

I'd like to hear also. I'm considering Mexico myself.
Scapular nerve burn due to spasms starting 12/5/13, alleviated with massage, valium, creams.
Sharp pains in neck/shoulder area, alleviated with Tylenol4. Etodolac regimen start 4/21/14.
PT/steroids from 12/11/13 provides temp relief only.
3/3/14 Prodisc surgery denied by BC.
3/25/14 Mobi-c surgery denied by BC. Appeal approved (Prodisc).
5/27/14 ADR surgery with Dr. Bae scheduled.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM

Hi,

I did not received a AD. I was confused at first about my surgery.
Doctor performed a dynamic stabilization (posterior, interspinous) with disc removed.
out of the hospital next day after surgery, walking by myself.
some sporadic pains in different parts. doctor told me this was normal due to nerve been damaged by compression. pains went away in less than 3 weeks, these pains were not constant.
back to work in 2 weeks, only desk job nothing hard on my back.
PT started yesterday march 10th, to reduce a muscle spasm that still there but it is not causing any pain, and to have more flexibility in the surgery area. little pain after PT nothing major, only mild medication for pain as preventive measure.

Thank God I feel great and pain free!!

here is some info on procedure:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/555030_3
Old 03-11-2014, 01:18 PM

Hector,

Congratulations on the successful surgery and on being pain free!!!

Good luck, Jeff