ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:09 AM

Default Question

Jeep Brew, your situation seems similar to mine except I have two blown discs, C6/7 in addition to C5/6. I am currently scheduled a double level Mobi C up with Dr. Su in the bay area this Dec 14. I had a surfing neck injury 2 years ago that was probably the start of this, but the flareup that got me an MRI started Feb of this year after some overboard concrete countertop lifting.

Your post caught my eye because age and that your injury came from wake boarding. I know how fun that is and also how worked you can get when a rail catches at landing. For myself, if at all possible, post surgery/rehab/healing, I want to scratch my way back up my normal pre surgery physical condition, and return to surfing, mountain biking, and wrestling my 7 and 4 year old boys.

When I tell my doctor this he was honest in saying he has not seen the data that compares a successful cervical ADR with a successful cervical fusion. He said a professional football player would for sure opt for fusion. Im no football player, but I to want to be able to take a hit, as sometimes life deals you one no matter how careful you are. The above has got me searching for posts and info of cervical ADR patients who returned to moderate/high impact sports once healed, and how their hardware has held up over time.

So you are a young guy, Im sure you have hopes of getting right back into it, did you come across any ADR data showing how much they can take, what physically would have to be done for one to fail, and what options would one have if their ADR did detach or break?

I hope Im not sounding skeptical, but Im a realist who just wants a straight answer, without our health what do we have, so lets get it right the first time.

My best to you and your future...

x-ray/MRI showed moderate/severe DDD in C5-C6, and C6-C7, the bone spurs pinch the nerves that run down the right arm, causing constant tingling as well as inability to activate some of the muscles in my arm. In the top view of the MRI the Herniations bulge only about 2/3rds of the way across the spinal cord, I luckily have full control of the body below the chest except for minor tingling in the right foot.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 AM

Mwells,

There's a lot of pro athletes who have ADRs, many in contact sports (fighting, rugby, etc). They can take a hit.
C5-6: Central right paracentral 2mm disc osteophyte fomplex. Abuts ventral cord with some cord flattening.
C6-7: Disc desiccation with broad based central 1.5mm disc osteophyte complex.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:49 PM

C4C7 thanks, just had surgery consult with doc this afternoon. He said it takes pretty extreme impact to dislodge the adr. He said if it did fail it would be at the connection of metal plate and polyethylene spacer. I’m going to Keep searching for athletes with clerical adr, it would be great to see their stories.

x-ray/MRI showed moderate/severe DDD in C5-C6, and C6-C7, the bone spurs pinch the nerves that run down the right arm, causing constant tingling as well as inability to activate some of the muscles in my arm. In the top view of the MRI the Herniations bulge only about 2/3rds of the way across the spinal cord, I luckily have full control of the body below the chest except for minor tingling in the right foot.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM

There was a thread on this a few years ago.

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11602

With that said, this is the only body you'll ever have, so why take major risks if you don't need to? I'm still pretty active, but I don't do anything crazy (mountain climbing, contact sports, etc).
C5-6: Central right paracentral 2mm disc osteophyte fomplex. Abuts ventral cord with some cord flattening.
C6-7: Disc desiccation with broad based central 1.5mm disc osteophyte complex.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:08 AM

Mwells,

My Doc certainly said if I plan on joining an NFL team, ACDF is the way to go. That being said, he felt confident the ADR could withstand the abuse I put my body through, minus perhaps landing on my head while wakeboarding. That probably means no more backrolls and tantrums, but if I play smart while on the board, I should be OK.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:06 PM

Default Re strength of implant

Assuming successful recovery (so far so good) my doc indicated my ADR's will likely outlast me and they are stronger than my original disks.

2 months post recovery I am allowed to try a little jogging....easy short runs at 3 months. No contact sports for 9 months...for me that means no rope.

If all goes well I am told I can resume my long distance running, backpacking and high altitude mountaineering etc.

TBD activities will be road cycling and rock climbing. The potential issue is the "head back" position aggravating my neck.

This was the general assessment I received from all of my consults. My physio is echoing the same sentiment but with emphasis on posture improvement during recovery.

Hoping they are right....Runner

2016 - C5/6, C6/7; Disc extrusions, osteophytes, radiculopathy. Left side only.

Clinging to the fantasy this will resolve spontaneously on its own.

2017 - Gave up on the dream. 2-level C5/6 & C6/7 Signus Rotaio ADR 15Nov17
Old 12-01-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner16 View Post
Assuming successful recovery (so far so good) my doc indicated my ADR's will likely outlast me and they are stronger than my original disks.

2 months post recovery I am allowed to try a little jogging....easy short runs at 3 months. No contact sports for 9 months...for me that means no rope.

If all goes well I am told I can resume my long distance running, backpacking and high altitude mountaineering etc.

TBD activities will be road cycling and rock climbing. The potential issue is the "head back" position aggravating my neck.

This was the general assessment I received from all of my consults. My physio is echoing the same sentiment but with emphasis on posture improvement during recovery.

Hoping they are right....Runner
Great news, Runner!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:11 AM

Btw, to anyone who might read this, I am a proud new owner a Mobi-C in C5/C6. I'll make a post in the Outcomes forum in the near future. So far, so good.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:46 PM

Wow!

It is a relief to have made a decision isn’t it? No more obsessing over what to do....

All the very best, take it slower than you think you should and you’ll avoid the self induced back spasm.

I look forward to hearing more!

Best, Runner

2016 - C5/6, C6/7; Disc extrusions, osteophytes, radiculopathy. Left side only.

Clinging to the fantasy this will resolve spontaneously on its own.

2017 - Gave up on the dream. 2-level C5/6 & C6/7 Signus Rotaio ADR 15Nov17