ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > ADR Frequently Asked Questions

ADR Frequently Asked Questions Find answers to commonly asked questions here. Please do not post comments here, but choose the appropriate forum to make comments on FAQs herein.

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 PM

Default currency conversion

As of today, 1.36 U.S. dollars = 1 Euro. It seems to always be higher in the summer months (peak season).
I don’t really agree with picking the “right surgeon” as your only criteria. For instance, there are great surgeons in the U.S., but they only have access to certain implants. I think what tools they have is critical. Just my two cents.
C5 ruptured
C6 Bulge
7/2011 epidural that caused a "fragment to present itself"
10/2011 C5-C6 Foraminotomy & removal of fragment
Positive for left-sided Hoffman's reflex
Effacement of anterior spinal artery
Old 07-14-2014, 04:16 AM

If you pick the wrong surgeon who puts in the wrong disc or doesn't do correct Placement then your going to be still in pain and out a lot of money. I decided to go to Germany since surgeons have been doing adr since 1990 and only 2008 for Canadian and US.

So I have to disagree with your statement because you do need a skilled surgeon who knows what they are doing or you will be doomed to fail.

Picking your your surgeon based on the adr is a bad idea. If I would have went with the m6 it would have failed because of my spine pathology. I'd be out 40k and still in pain
Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 AM

$50K US not including travel and extra stay.

I followed God. He directed me specifically to Barcelona through so much confirmation it got to be absolutely bizarre. Can't get into it here but it was pretty intense.

I'm glad I followed God. He knew better than I did.

The bone density I took in the States was improperly performed. The DEXA Clavel ordered here was much more precise and showed an entirely different result. Who knew? God.

We therefore went M6. And to boot, my vertebrae were perfectly sized for large M6 end plates as if they were modeled for them. You'll see when I show pics later. It's unreal.

Beyond that, again, God, God and more God. So much God here in this. I woke up screaming 'Jesus Cristo es mi luz y mi salvacion' in the reanimacion room with all the others. Not sure if I was hallucinating. They had to wheel me out of there apparently because I was getting louder and louder.

Even Clavel said to me after, 'God was in the room with him and the surgery was perfect, perfect, perfect'. His words.

Had many people praying for me.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:31 AM

I was 45k, the difference between the European top guys is minimal. You start at approx. 40K for 1 1evel and add about 4k for each additional level. Karger was 1, I was 2 level and I think Drew was 3.

To Karger, I hear you and agree, but most folks on this forum will tell you that you are barking up the wrong tree (they could change the name of this to M6support.org. I commend you on making the right choice (Zeegers/ActivL) for you .

To Drew, I am so happy that you found the right solution with Dr Clavel and the M6L, truly. I was one of your prayer warriors and I know of no one who has put more time and effort into the vetting process than you. More importantly, it's nice to see someone rely on God for direction (how can you go wrong with the creator of the universe directing your path) But hey man are you speaking in tongues now?
Un-diagnosed til 09. (Cannot sit)
Low back pain mild until 2011 - pull started a generator from knees.
rhizotomy Nov 2011 - zilch
Facet joint inj. 18 mo. (no impact)
Can only stand/walk for approx. 30 min
21 hrs/day in bed
L3-5 Activ-Ls (April 2014) Dr Zeegers - walk every day, swim 3 x week. Pain free, no pain meds. Extremely pleased with my decision
Old 07-15-2014, 12:29 AM

Default costs

A 2 level fusion in Fl. would be anywhere from about $85 to $120k. Because my bad disc's are from an auto accident, the other party has to be sued, all the doc's work under a letter of protection and once my attorney is done, he negotiates settlements with each party, so cost is up in the air. Dr Bierstedt was 30,000 euro all in except flight, Dr Clavel is 29,790, no hotel or transport. I have not got a quote for VIP services, which would include these, I guess. I know it would cost more to do it here, plus it would be 2 fusions, which would then be 3 in a row. I am 100% certain that would lead to future problems above and below. If I pay for this, while not a guarantee, I feel confident that I will be afforded a better quality of life with the ADR's. I firmly believe that the first fusion restricted my range of movement and set me up for where I am now. I guess the upside is, with the auto insurance I may get my money back, but it is not guaranteed. I will update on VIP services when I find out.
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7
Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 AM

While I explored the options with surgeons & procedures, I did deal with a Florida group who specializes in Minimally Invasive surgery & cervical ADR. It is called Center for Artificial Disc Replacement. I was looking for a 3-level lumbar ADR and based on my spondy, they proposed a 2-level ADR and 1-level fusion. They passed it through my insurance carrier and it was denied. They then provided a quote for self-pay which came out to $82K US.

While it was interesting to obtain the quote, the surgeons do not have experience with lumbar ADR. I find the quote to not be unreasonable for the work. However, with the Prodisc option proposed, the lack of lumbar ADR experience, only 3 days of hospital stay, potential for extra costs associated with longer stay, additional follow up, etc., it was not very appealing.

In my opinion, the skilled European surgeons, better ADR products used, more experience with placement, complications, etc. and significantly better price offer a better overall solution. While costs that are covered in this posting demonstrate that Europe is a better choice, it is never the costs alone that are encouraging so many people to travel for surgery. It is often when a procedure will be covered by insurance do people select a US surgeon.

Henry, I don't agree that the forum is an M6 support forum. As Drew and others can attest to the investigation of Activ-L and M6, the support is to members for everything from investigating options, surgery or other, to selection of surgeons, questions to ask, bone density, recovering members with or without complications, etc. I am very pleased that you used a great surgeon and had a successful procedure. While we are both still in recovery, I hope ours will ultimately be a full recovery with no pain and regaining all of our functioning to become once again very active individuals.
2013/2014 – Dessication and significant disc height loss at L4-L5 & L5-S1; L3-L4 disc bulge with hypertrophy; mild spinal stenosis; Grade 1 anterolisthesis (3mm); L4-L5 - marginal spurring and moderate hypertrophy causing neuroforaminal narrowing; L5-S1 - moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing; lumbar lordosis is straightening.

New pains & functional limitations in late 2013 led to exploring ADR procedures. Consulted with 8 surgeons domestically and 9 in Europe.
May 2014 – Anterior and posterior incisions in a 5-hour surgery resulted in 2 M-6s and one facet joint prosthesis (dynamic stabilization system). On the road to full recovery.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:08 AM

For cervical ADR, the estimated cash price I was given was (Dallas, Tx)
1 level - $22,000
2 level - $29,000
3 level - $36,000

This only includes main surgeon, anesthesia, hospital stay, disc device, facility, and monitoring (does not include assistant surgeon, x-rays, pathology, internist or complications, if needed)
C6-7 2mm protrusion; no cord contact

Waiting for 1st surgery
Old 07-27-2014, 01:20 PM

atxmom,

What device did the folks in Dallas quote? Did they give you an estimate of what the other items that were not in the quote might cost?

Thanks,

Dave
- Wife has been diagnosed with Severe Spinal Stenosis Right and Left Sides, Degenerative Disk Disease at C5/6 and C6/7, Large Osteophyte Complexes at a both levels, with C6/7 on R/H Side, and C5/6 both R/H and L/H Sides. Also Reverse Lordosis.
- Performed 2-Level ADR with M6-C by Dr. Clavel, Barcelona Spine Center on 10/15/14.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:13 PM

Two level cervical...48k in Washington State. That includes 2 implants at 7.5k each. If paid in full at the time of service- 40% discount (not on the implants) so that brings it just under $35k.
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015
Old 11-11-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4ADR View Post
Two level cervical...48k in Washington State. That includes 2 implants at 7.5k each. If paid in full at the time of service- 40% discount (not on the implants) so that brings it just under $35k.
Curious if you know what a two level lumbar would cost?

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Closed Thread