ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Arthroplasty Central

Arthroplasty Central Discussion, news and insights that focus specifically on artificial disc replacement and arthroplasty are here.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:01 PM

Default M6 vs ESP?

I know this a very controversial topic, but I have done my research and maybe some people, like myself, who had surgery overseas question why some of these surgeons are using the ESP now?
Dr Desai is using this disc, a surgeon who is cost effective, and has no background, that I can find on the internet regarding his degree, schooling, etc.
This surgeon is doing anterior horizontal C-Section 6 inch cuts on people. Even woman with childbirth doesnt even have close to that size of an incision. Tons of scar tissue and issues from this with a horizontal incision!
I find this very interesting as opposed to the vertical incision by Clavel, Bierstedt, and Lang.
I researched this ESP disc vs the M6 and wondering why certain surgeons are going to this disc. I know Clavel is giving it as an option, but prefers the M6 still.
I’m not sure about Bierstedt and Lang.
This ESP disc does not have a sheath, and keels like the M6. It’s not as great as a disc, and not as natural to what your born with. The only disc that replicates that is the M6. The M6 also has better absorption and shock, along with more degrees of rotational axis. The question remains are these surgeons going to this secondary disc, because they are trying to gain business and compete with this guy Desai?
Clavel is a genius and he still prefers the M6, but the questions remains why?
Curiosity at it’s best here. Thanks!
1 ADR M6-L at L4-5 (1 10mm)
-Torn disc (fissuring), loss of disc height (mild DDD), approaching thecal sac as well
*Gained 1 1/2- 1 3/4 inches in height due to M6 disc height, and perfect lordosis now
Old 05-10-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrt8 View Post
It’s not as great as a disc, and not as natural to what your born with. The only disc that replicates that is the M6. The M6 also has better absorption and shock

Do you have objective data on this or is this your opinion? Not trying to sound argumentative, I'm just curious. Just looking at it, the ESP seems like a sturdier design with less parts and room for failure. These discs, especially the l5-s1 aren't responsible for THAT much movement, so perhaps durability and simplicity are starting to take precedence.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:04 AM

No not at all, I’m trying to understand and get opinions on which disc is better and why, because I’m perplexed. To me the M6 is still above the rest from my research, but I’ll get the definitive answer today hopefully from a friend that just had surgery with his surgeon’s opinion. Thanks!
1 ADR M6-L at L4-5 (1 10mm)
-Torn disc (fissuring), loss of disc height (mild DDD), approaching thecal sac as well
*Gained 1 1/2- 1 3/4 inches in height due to M6 disc height, and perfect lordosis now
Old 06-10-2018, 07:08 AM

I'm currently 5 days post op with two LP-ESP discs that were implanted at L3/4 and L4/5 by Dr. Bierstedt and I am absolutely amazed at my results so far. I'm with a group of 3 other patients that also had multi-level LP-ESPs installed in their lumbar and all of us are doing great with near zero back pain and just some incision and stomach pain from the surgery.

Before my surgery, I had a phone consultation with Dr. Bierstedt and at the time I was looking for the M6 and he was recommending the LP-ESP. When I asked him why he is starting to prefer the ESP, he said:

- Both the M6 and the LP-ESP are state of the art implants. Both are good.
- The m6 is softer. If it's too soft it can cause a tilt of the vertebrae (I have seen this in multiple cases)
- The anchoring system of the LP-ESP is preferred (no keels)
- The tooling to install the disc is preferred as well
- With multi-level cases, softer and more cushion is not better. Higher rigidity with the LP-ESP helps maintain structure and helps the facet joints.
- Minor differences but prefers the ESP
Old 06-11-2018, 09:58 AM

people who think the disc takes up shock n absorbs it must not have educated them selves on the human spine! theres a thing called lordosis look it up
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great