ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:26 PM

Default Could really use some help regarding ADR....

Hey all,

I still haven't been able to get and/or find all of the answers I am looking for and could really use some help. Here are a list of questions I have:

1) How long are ADR's "projected" to last? 5 years?

2) When and if they go bad, what is next? Fusion? Can you get them replaced?

3) Going to the Texas Back Institute to see Dr Ziglar but also thinking about Germany as well. Not sure if either is right, but would love some reccomendations of who is considered the best for Lumbar ADR surgery. L5S1 precisely.

I really appreciate any help regarding these questions. Thanks everyone.

All the best,

Chris AKA Back2lifeplease
2011 3 Epidurals with little to no help
7/11 scheduled to go and get 2 level ADR in Germany (L4-5 and L5S1)<----Chickened out.
8/11 2nd discectomy on L5S1 that didn't take and now may have possible facet issue on right side of L5S1.
ADR here I come.....
Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Here's one of your questions addressed here: SPINE DOCTOR - Surgery

Though more detailed information is found in the post-op forum, so please take the time to review outcomes, which patients have thoughtfully shared with us...

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM

1) Projected life has been called out to be 25 + years, 50 + in some models and for some test/analysis efforts. The first Charite used in Europe has been in for over 20 years. I do not believe that there are any reports yet of a well-installed, well-placed ADR failing simply due to wear yet. That said, simple physics says it going to happen. The problem is wear prediction models are poor for making that kind of exact prediction, and I'm saying this a a professional who both used and created similar predictions. Basically, if you have a successful ADR, you should expect that the whole spine surgery market will be different by the time you need a new ADR. That might be working to your advantage but it might not, depending on which way the market goes.

2) We've already seen some people having poorly placed ADRs fused around or removed and replaced with a fusion. Not a fun surgery but possible.

3) I do agree that you're asking the right question, "who's the best surgeon I can get to and afford" but there's a ton of opinion and emotion tied up with that answer. Every successful surgery patient will swear that their surgeon received divine inspiration and is a gift to the world as a whole. Every failed surgery patient will simply swear in a much more straightforward fashion.

Some thoughts: how bad is your back? How likely is it you will need constant ongoing care while you recover from surgery? How likely is it that your recovery will be swift and complete? Do you need the skills and experience of true cutting-edge people? Would you do better if the surgeon could call upon some techniques or devices approved outside of the US but not in it? Think through those and guide yourself to a top few candidates. Then correspond or meet them in person and make sure you're comfortable with the surgeon and the office he/she works out of. Remember a lousy office that blocks access can trump a wonderful surgeon and make your post-op life hell.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 05-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Thank you for that reply. I really appreciate it.
7/11 scheduled to go and get 2 level ADR in Germany (L4-5 and L5S1)<----Chickened out.
8/11 2nd discectomy on L5S1 that didn't take and now may have possible facet issue on right side of L5S1.
ADR here I come.....
Old 05-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Default Sent my info to Germany and meeting with Dr Zigler...

Thank you so much for your help on this board as I have used it relentlessly and excited what my next chapter might hold. I really want my life back. So just to recap my story:

It starts in 2002 when I started to notice minimal pain in my right foot. It wouldn't go away, so I finally went to see an orthopedist. He decided to do an MRI and there we found a herniated disc (L5S1). I tried everything but it just got worse. I could stand, swim, lay down, with no pain, but it killed me to sit down. I tried everything. Finally in 2006, after battling for 4 years, I decided to get a disectomy(sp). I did a lot of research and thought this was the best option for me. WOW did it work. I noticed a difference right when I woke up from surgery. Healed quickly and had great results, so good in fact, that when my L4 herniated in 2008 I had discectomy done there as well. No problems after that surgery as well. Flash forward to 2011 and L5S1 re-herniated and it hurts! So I have had a few injections, which haven't helped all to much. In fact I had one this past Monday and it is already starting to wear off. Laying down hurts unless I am in a the "perfect" position and sitting gives me problems as well. Standing hurts the most and I can't really do it for a long period maybe 5-10 minutes and then I have to sit for 20. Also my L4 is starting to give me trouble now, not bad but it is letting me know that something isn't right. Mentally I am tired and beat down. I can't work out or do anything. No hard drugs unless I need them, but I try to stay away. I am taking an anti-inflammatory but it doesn't help much. So there you have it, my story. I want my life back and so does my wife and little girl.

Back2lifeplease
ADR here I come.....
Old 05-23-2011, 06:48 AM

Default Got an answer for Dr. Bertagnoli...

He is recommending double ADR L4 and L5S1. Gulp, as mentally prepared you think you are for that answer, et me tell you I still got nervous. I have seen a lot of great results from thee "Germany Experience". Anyone on here post op more than 2 to 3 years with lumbar work done under Dr. Bertagnoli? Would love to hear the story. Going to meet Dr. Zig this week and looking forward to hearing what he says as well.

All the best health to everyone on this board.

Chris
ADR here I come.....
Old 05-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Default Have now talked with Dr. Zigler and Dr. Bertagnoli.....

Both he and Dr. Bertagnoli are recommended double adr L5S1 and L4. The question is, which one do I go with?????
ADR here I come.....
Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Question

Hope you don't mind that I merged multiple (related topics) into this one. Just so you know, it's easier for readers to track and respond to one topic, rather that than multiple topics and multiple questions.

Hope that's OK. How are you today? Any more thoughts that have moved you towards any decisions?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Harrison,

Thanks for the note. Yes I have. I am going to Deutschland. I really, really, really like Zigler but he has done 400 of these and Bertagnoli has done 4,000. Zigler even told me that he would use Bertagnoli, his only concern would be the distance. I agree with that, but just going for the experience that Bertagnoli has to offer. Don't know if it will make a difference or not, but it can't hurt, right?

Hey there was a post on here giving advice about how to handle the Europe experience. Giving advice on how to do the currency exchange, how to send it, etc, etc. Do you know where that post is located? If so, any way to get it to me? Thanks!

Scared out of my mind, but I guess I am ready. More to come....
ADR here I come.....
Old 05-26-2011, 07:15 PM

If you havent yet i would check with EMT european medical tourist tim vicknair i think ispelled his name right i am in the beginning process of medical records and contacted him he works with dr bertagnoli and he could help you with what ever questions you might have .. If you go there pls let me know how it goes i too am looking at L4 L5 ..good luck

S