ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanfromsactown View Post
I think they usually do the fusion at the lower level and ADR above, so that motion is maintained and wear and tear on the adjacent disc is minimized.
That's typically only if both levels are equally bad/good. If one level is significantly different from the other, they'll recommend fusion for the one that most needs it. Also, you're talking about L45 and L34; as you have disks both above and below the two affected level, you'll be risking adjacent level degeneration regardless of which order you put them in.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 PM

yeah that's a rough combo... you have to almost assume L5/S1 will go eventually... then it's TLIF time.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 AM

In fact, just thinking about it, your surgeon may want the ADR low thinking that it would give you mobility if L5S1 goes at some point. If you fused L5S1 and L45, you would likely end up with hip and SI joint issues in your lifetime. This is pretty wild speculation so a discussion with the surgeon is in order but this might be one reason for his recommendation.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna View Post
That's typically only if both levels are equally bad/good. If one level is significantly different from the other, they'll recommend fusion for the one that most needs it. Also, you're talking about L45 and L34; as you have disks both above and below the two affected level, you'll be risking adjacent level degeneration regardless of which order you put them in.
Oh gosh, i misspoke! Forgive me, I was thinking they were going to fuse l45 and ADR l5s1 and that seemed odd, but Jim/Laura are right in what they said! My brain was thinking the fusion would only be up against a moving segment.

I'll go back to my gentle exercises :/
TREATMENT: IDET, ESI's, Radiofrequency, Chiropractic, Pain Management, PT.
No work since 1999.
ADR Surgery at BetaKlinik, Bonn, Germany 11/30/11-Activ-L at L45,STALIF at L5S1--recovery good so far!
http://backtalk2011.blogspot.com/?v=0