ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 PM

Default Any input greatly appreciated.

Not sure where to begin but here goes. I started my back injuries as a Heavy duty diesel mechanic and have had minor strains before but in 2001 I was going to get into a semi truck and the driver had indoor-outdoor carpet ziptied to the top step to wipe his boots but it was covered with snow so i did not know it was there. I stepped on it and had ahold of the grab handle, my foot went out as the zip ties were not pulled tight and it whiplashed me against the side of the truck. After this my life hasnt been the same. I kept working and went through numerous physical therapies and medications to try and help with the pain.

Whenever I would get close to feeling I could manage the pain another injury would happen from the most simplest of tasks that would put me back to the beginning with the pain getting worse on all occurances. I had esi's at MAPS clinic, physical therapy twice at Physicians neck and back clinic which was work hardening therapy and made it much worse. Have had at least 6 other physical therapies and also went to Fairview pain and pallative care to try and deal with the pain. As the injuries and therapies over the years continued to make my back worse my company moved me into a less strenuous job. By this time I was having severe pain in my legs especially outer calves while walking sometimes only a few steps.

They finally gave me another MRI in late 2008 and decision was to do a bi-lateral decompression to relieve the herniation pressure on my nerves. 1-2009 had my first surgery and within two weeks was able to walk for over an hour a day on the treadmill with no leg pain at all and less back pain. Approx, 4 weeks after surgery getting up from bed i felt a pressure in my back that set off my nervous system, drenched in sweat, nauseus, dizzy I laid back down untill it subsided. When I got back up I could just tell it had herniated again. Walking went back to a few minutes and could not go on,pain in legs and back right back up. Notified surgeon who tried medrol pack and then esi. No help so mri was done that showed it in same condition as pre surgery. They put me back to work and I worked until I couldnt function at all. Went back in and was referred by my surgeon to one of his partners. Another Mri and it showed I needed surgery again on the herniations. 2-2010 had lumbar laminectomy at 2 levels. I was back to being able to walk on treadmill for over an hour a day so they put me back to work. Within 3 days of going back to work new symptoms started showing up and all the old ones came back as well.

Back to surgeon and another MRI 5-2010 showing another herniation so recommended having a caudal block/esi. Had that 2 weeks ago and had some relief where 2 days i was able to walk on treadmill for over 30 minutes now back to legs cramping up just going from bedroom to kitchen. The new symptoms are nausea just from being in a upright position and legs upon sitting or laying down have spasms/twitching that is random up and down both legs non-stop. The Dr doing the injection this time said the medication did not spread out right when he inserted it it went so far and stopped because of scar tissue. The surgeon says that if the injection does not help he wants to do a 3 level fusion. Now I am freaking out!!! Im 45 yrs young and until the back injuries in good physical shape. I have gained over 60 lbs and am worried not only about the damage already done to my body but what a 3level fusion would do to me.

I have done some looking into ADR but not sure I would be able to get this approved through workmans comp or if I would even be able to see a Dr. in another state regarding any recommendations or further surgery. Just my opinion but I would feel ADR is a better option than loosing the mobility/motion but I am at a point where if fusion would get the pain under control then that might be a route I have to take. If anyone has any insights about working with workmans comp on seeing a surgeon in another state and about ADR v/s fusion any input would be greatly appreciated. I am in MN in the twin cities area and not sure if it does end up going into a fusion if my surgeon is right for me for that procedure.

Thank you Harrison on creating a place where we can get support from others who are going through or have gone through this and can help others as they begin their journeys. Sorry I am not on more often as I can only sit for a very short time but thank you everyone for any input that you can give as I see this coming to a decision soon. Thanks
2010 Lumbar Laminectomy at 2 levels
Pain in back and legs ongoing just had Caudal Block 5-2010
They want to do 3 level fusion but unsure if thats best. Any responses appreciated!!!

Last edited by Harrison; 06-05-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added paragraph breaks
Old 06-05-2010, 12:21 AM

I am new to this whole business, so unfortunately I have little advice to assist you through your personal nightmare. My injury is a worker's comp injury as well, and I most likely will be retired from my job. I am just starting to weave through the paperwork and requests and denials, but the advice I do have is to GET A WORKER'S COMP ATTORNEY. They know the law, your rights, and how to help you get the assistance you are entitled to.
I am so sorry your difficulties have gone on so long and are so extreme.
Good luck. It's amazing how one moment can change a life. Here's wishing some new good moments come your way...

Mslizzy
Epidural: 2/10
PT, massage, but mostly movement modification
Still off work
Old 06-05-2010, 06:40 AM

Thank you for your input Mslizzy. Up to this point I have only talked to a attorney once on this matter and at that time he stated that I didnt need an attorney at that time but I might tomorrow...lol He was very honest and upfront but since my work and work comp seemed to be doing everything right there was no need to get him involved. Work so far has been great as far as getting me into a different position and work comp has okd all medical procedures so far without question. Like the attorney said though I might need him tomorrow as I dont want just anyone doing an adr or fusion on me and my current surgeon says only 1 level can have adr and hes not happy with the outcomes,but he doesnt do them so it is a biased opinion on his part. I hope your journey goes well and please keep in contact if we can compare notes on how work comp is handling our cases or if you just want to chat. Thanks again.
2010 Lumbar Laminectomy at 2 levels
Pain in back and legs ongoing just had Caudal Block 5-2010
They want to do 3 level fusion but unsure if thats best. Any responses appreciated!!!