ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna View Post
The extract below comes from the IRS online discussion and is the reason why I'm not sure an unskilled companion's travel expenses count. I'm not a tax expert so take my comments as a suggestion to investigate further, not something to trust outright

Transportation

Include in medical expenses amounts paid for transportation primarily for, and essential to, medical care. You can include:
  • Bus, taxi, train, or plane fares, or ambulance service,
  • Transportation expenses of a parent who must go with a child who needs medical care,
  • Transportation expenses of a nurse or other person who can give injections, medications, or other treatment required by a patient who is traveling to get medical care and is unable to travel alone, and
  • Transportation expenses for regular visits to see a mentally ill dependent, if these visits are recommended as a part of treatment.
I am a C.P.A. and have seen this as well. If you are travelling overseas for surgery, you save the medical expenses of a nurse if you take a family member (much less money to deduct) However, a family member can help with many basic daily living functions that a health aide would. Yes, it's technically a gray area, but I would advise any client of mine going through this to take a travel deduction for one family member in addition to him/herself. This expense is a drop in the bucket compared to the entire cost of getting surgery overseas. The IRS has other things to be concerned about. If they tried to disallow it, I would fight it all the way up to tax court.
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 08-02-2014, 11:21 PM

I took my pastor who is also a chaplain without whose help it would have been highly unlikely I would have gone through with the surgery. He helped me physically, spiritually and mentally through the trauma.

I was lying to myself about not needing surgery even as he saw I couldn't sit without pushing up on my elbows and leaning forward, and even then, feeling my back lock up in pain. And yet I was still saying I didn't need it right up to the very end. I was a wuss and he was there for me in my darkest times.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.